I have been on every medication there is over the last 10 years. This is the first medication that has ever worked to prevent all of my seizures both convulsive and partial. I'm not tired all day like with other medications either.

I just started using this medicine. but I have noticed that it gives me a lot of heartburn. I always feel like I have a big knot on my throat. I feel hungry all the time. I have to speak to my doctor to see if he can prescribe me a different type of medicine.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/13/2020
Condition: Tonic-Clonic Epilepsy

I've been taking Dilantin for 35+ years. It has worked well for me. I have not had any seizures nor encountered any side effects of this medication. I have tried Depakote and Levetiracetam (generic Keppra) which I had horrible side effects.

lmohxa | 65-74 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/7/2016
Condition: Prevention of Seizures following Head Injury or Surgery

I have been on Dilantin, along with Primidone since 1971 following removal of an Astrocytoma. I started seizures at about 10 years old but now am 65. The original Parke-Davis brand has been the only one effective, when insurance forced me to use a generic brand I went into Status Epilepticus, 3X. No problems with advancing gums, but I do show osteopenia and have had jerky hands and some dizzy spells. The doctor(s) tell me this may be attributed to interaction with the blood thinner I use, Arixtra. My Part D insurance coverage will not cover brand name Dilantin so I need to find an extended release phenytoin sodium that is effective enough.

none | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
11/19/2015
Condition: Epileptic Seizure

I have been using this for 30 years, worked great, never a problem with no side effects until Phizer took over manufacturing and the drug became less effective.(back in 07?) My doctor upped me from 300mg to 400mg and I had minor side effects. Now I have to take it 100mg in am and 300mg a hour before or a hour after dinner and at least a hour before I go to bed. Phizer claims they didnt change it from Parke Davis formula but too many people had similar problems. Used to be 100% effective even if I missed a day or two, now my life revolves around when I take this stuff. Tried Keppra but my temper was crazy and I was a little dizzy. Getting ready to try something else.

constance | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
9/20/2014
Condition: Prevention of Seizures following Head Injury or Surgery

Started this after removal of 'benign' meningioma 25 yrs. ago. Have had no problems or seizures at all.

Sarah | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/2/2014
Condition: Convulsive Seizures

I have what used to be referred to as "Temporal Lobe Epilepsy," which is now "Complex Partial Epilepsy." I've had seizures all my life but wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30s after having my first grand mal seizure. My neurologist put me on Dilantin, and we didn't have much success with it until I got up to a 900 mg dose (400mg in the morning and 500 mg at night), and I've been seizure-free for nearly two years. It's amazing stuff. It has made me grow facial hair, but honestly, I'd rather just shave and have no seizures.