Took this in the 60's as a child. Best relief from an acute asthma attack. I currently get it from a Custom RX. They put the 3 ingredients together and make a pill. It does make me jittery but works better than any other medicine I have ever taken for a bad asthma attack.

Albert Ross | 13-18 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
3/26/2022

I was prescribed this as pills in the '70s in my teens. It worked well for my asthma but I quickly found out it was a great recreational drug too. Doubling the dose would get me pretty high and I shared them with a few friends who also liked them. I had both allergy and exercise induced asthma. I didn't take it regularly, only when I had an attack or knew I was going to trigger one.

Daniel | 7-12 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
11/18/2021
Condition: Bronchospasm

Finally I found others that used this, couldn’t find any trace of it for a long time. Took both pill and liquid for Asthma. I can remember the doc telling my mom to give daily. I now feel like a was an 8 yr old meth attic. I was so skinny, I would cough and get a mild temporary hernia that still flares up. I had at least 6 root canals and a few missing permanent teeth by 16 ya old . My sons are full size thankfully and 5-6 inches taller than me , this drug seriously effected my growth, attitude, social behavior, on the other hand I’m pretty spiritual cuz I was in another dimension half the time. Class action Law sure, sign me up!Read More Read Less

Kansas | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/31/2021
Condition: Bronchospasm

Upon being diagnosed with athletic and allergy induced asthma, this was the only medication I ever received or let alone even knew about until the fall of 1989 when I got my first inhaler. People reported it made them jittery and surprising to me it actually made me extremely drowsy. Now of course I've had the miracle medication ephedra, and it did anything but make me drowsy. I had this medical condition growing up and it really sucked! I grew up on a farm and I was seriously allergic to almost everything on it and there were times when I didn't have this in the house to self medicate and get the attack to go away. It was only until my senior year of high school did my new physician prescribe me an inhaler. This really burns the hell out of me as to why neither my parents or even my general practitioner checked to see if there was anything better available and how to effectively manage this experience. Read More Read Less

del1166 | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/4/2020
Condition: Bronchospasm

It was a very effective relief to my lungs. I never understood why they took off a very functional medicine and started supplying inhalers w/ steroids. I'd like to have it back.

Sharon | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/3/2018

I took this medication for severe hives during cold weather. It was the only relief I ever got from any medication and/or antihistamines during the 60s and 70s. Now can't get because of ephedrine abuse!

nblair | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
12/28/2015

Susannah61 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
9/29/2015

I used Marax for years, when it was the only drug to treat my asthma, from the 70s to about 1983 when I got a bronchodilator. I stilled used Marax until the early 1990s. It worked for asthma and also allergic rhinitis. In the early years I used the liquid; in the final 10 years I took a pill. Asthma was much less common then, and there were not as many drugs that worked, or people who took them.

Colonel Jake | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
9/22/2015

I have used Marax from 1970 to 1995 for my symptom of Bronchial/Asthma. It has been 20 years since I've last taken it. Today I've had tried many other drugs (that aren't on the blacklist), but to my no avail, nothing today seems to work. Today 20 years after using MARAX, I have arrhythmia, hypertension, ischemia, long term memory loss, possibly depression, hallucinations, paranoia, sometimes ED and do not like to Socialize with people I don't know. I really believe that this drug MARAX also affected my required results during my scholastic years in Elementary thru High School. But what can I do? I strongly feel that this Prescription drug called Marax, has destroyed my life, especially as I'm getting closer to retirement. 2010, I researched this MARAX and found that it was in two dosage levels and it's mixure was either 25mg amphetamine or 100mg amphetamine, both with the bronchial dilator and anti-histamine. There was nothing mention about it having ephedrin as it's primary chemical (when ephedrine is and was well known). So now I believe that this Original Makeup of this drug MARAX, is now being covered up, just so P-f-i-z-e-r don't have a large class action suit against them, besides it being illegal for pharmacies across the United States to sell.Read More Read Less

tj | 55-64 | Female | Patient
2/22/2015

I took Marax tablets in the 1970's for asthma. Although they helped, they made me shake so bad. I also now know why I stayed so thin, ephedra or ephedrine. I was a teenager, so back then I didn't pay much attention to what was in the meds I took or side effects for that matter. It definitely helped the asthma, but I shook like a tree on a windy day. Matter of fact I still get the shakes. I'm now on Advair and have been for many years. The asthma is doing really well on this awesome drug.

maraz recipient | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/22/2015
Condition: Bronchospasm

Marax liquid was great for bronchitis. My now grown kids were prescribed this & as a result they out grew their allergy problems. Until now I have been unable to even find that this miracle marax liquid, even was still in existence!

E. Smith | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/8/2014
Condition: Bronchospasm

The only purpose to take this is if for some reason you have nothing else available to you for asthma, as was the case in the 60s-70s. It was called Marax Elixir back in the day, and was given by the spoonful. I took it when I was having an asthma attack. It was a clear, thick liquid and it smelled and tasted terrible - guess they had not invented sweetening of liquid meds yet. In my memory, it was a slow-acting med given for a short term need, and it probably helped a bit, but not like the meds available today. I mainly recall the side effects which were first - vomiting if I took it straight up, so my doctor had us mix a spoonful in a cup of water. I can remember watching those thick swirls mix in with the water and dreading the next step. Diluted in water, it still tasted terrible but I could at least swallow it. Secondly, while it was in my system, I remember feeling jittery / shaky. The next day as it wore off, I would get intense all-over headaches. Probably younger doctors haven't heard of it as there are better treatments available now with fewer side effects. And I for one am glad of that!Read More Read Less

MHK33009 | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/14/2014
Condition: Bronchospasm

I AM 56 YEARS OLD. MARAX SYRUP (PILLS APPARENTLY WERE NOT AVAILABLE DURING THE 1960s-1970s) WAS ONLY ONE OF THE TWO THERAPEUTIC MODALITIES AVAILABLE FOR HOME USE. ON RARE OCASSION WHEN MARAX WAS NOT (QUICKLY)EFFECTIVE THEN SUPPOSITORIES WERE THAN USED IN A RESCUE CAPACITY. MDIs HAD NOT YET BEEN INVENTED. IN READING NOW THAT MARAX WAS DISCONTINUED FOR SEVERAL YEARS DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF EPHEDRINE DOESN'T SURPRISE ME ONE BIT IN THE LEAST. THE AFTER EFFECT OF "JITTERINESS" IS STILL MEMORABLE AND AT LEAST FOR ME WAS/IS DESIRABLE SIDE EFFECT. LATER WHILE IN COLLEGE I WAS USING PRIMATENE-P. THE -P WAS APPARENTLY THE ADDED PHENOBARBATOL WHICH ALSO LEFT ME HYPER. TODAY I AM WELL CONTROLLED WITH PRESCRIPTION MEDS (ADVAIR +/- VENTOLIN).Read More Read Less

eek | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/1/2012
Condition: Bronchospasm

I took this for years for asthma. every healthcare worker I come across has never heard of marax or quadrinal which I also took for asthma for years. Marax made me more anxious which may make sense because since my mid thirties i was diagnosed with anxiety and depression that I had since at least a yhoung teen which was undiagnosed. I wonder if these meds, had any cause with long-trm use?

Jean | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
6/23/2008
Condition: Bronchospasm

I used Marax to treat asthma symptoms for years. Now my lung specialist has never heard of it. Why???