I have been struggling with migraines that only started around the time I turned 40 (so for a few years now.) One every 3 weeks or so but they were getting bad and nothing really was helping. I was resistant to medications because I was fearful of long term side effects and just the idea of taking strong medications was foreign to me. Finally my doctor convinced me to try Trokendi XR 50 mg. I've b...

I found out from my doctor that there is another extended release medication on the market called Qudexy. He told me that it had clinical data showing a reduction in side effects, especially for the brain fog that I had. Trokendi doesn't have a clinical trial. It is newer than the Trokendi, but worth asking your doctor about!

Sindee | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/10/2021
Condition: Migraine Prevention

This medication almost killed me. I lost 30 pounds and at 125 lbs and 5’10’ I did not need that. My short term memory was destroyed, I was so tired I could hardly walk. MyBP was 53/30 and it caused neuropathy in both hands which is now permanent. I could not eat and whatever I drank tasted like metal. This medication ruined mylife. My hair, fingernails and toenails fell out. I M now on disability. DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS!

v.webb0828 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/22/2020
Condition: Migraine Prevention

I was on trokendi XR 200 mg for about a year! My insurance stopped covering my usage because I was "prescribed too often" although I was under care of a neurologist during my treatment! Expensive and AWFUL side effects, I constantly felt spaced out and forgot words and sentences in the middle of speaking. I got more headaches while taking the medicine but they weren't as painful as my regular migraines so I toughed it out. I finally had enough of all the side effects and went cold turkey, of course they immediately stopped a week after my last dosage.

Futurenostalgic | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/13/2020

This medication was not near as effective as the same Strength dose of the short acting version given twice a day. I felt no benefit, and regressed in my condition. I returned to taking the standard topiramate twice daily after almost two years of struggling and within two weeks my symptoms have improved significantly. Night and day difference.

Mark | 55-64 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/16/2020
Condition: Migraine Prevention

I developed cluster headaches at age 60. I tried topamax regular and had the same side effects as others have described. My neuro switched me to the 25mg XR, and no more side effects, and about 1 cluster headache per year now.

Debra | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/10/2020
Condition: Migraine Prevention

Was taking topiramate 25 twice daily, migraines down to 2-3 a month. Neuro had me start taking Trokendi XR 25, then 50. The migraine has come back to stay, and won't leave. If improvement doesnt happen soon going back on the topirmate 25 twice daily.