I have been on a .05 estrogen patch for 9 years since I had a complete hysterectomy at age 41. I was put on it immediately after surgery so I really didn't have much chance to have any menopausal symptoms. At first they had me on a 1.0 patch which made my eyeballs bulge or swell. It was too much & so I had them lower the dose. I have really not had any bad side effects except maybe headache...

This patch caused a burn on my arm, I had the patch on for two days and it began to burn, when I took the patch off it hurt tremendously and it actually peeled skinned off. I still after ten days of being off the patch still have a noticable burn mark there.

Lilybeau | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/25/2017
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs

Vivelle has been 100% effective in treating my symptoms. The only downside is break thru bleeding. Sometimes Iâ??m a day late with changing the patch, and the bleeding seems to coincide with that, however, Iâ??ll take feeling like a teenager over some bleeding any day of the week!

Diane C | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/24/2017
Condition: Low Estrogen After Operation to Remove Ovaries

I've been on this since my hysterectomy in 2000. I get frequent migraines and I'm not sure if these patches are the cause. One doctor said I might get more without the patch. But I asked my pharmacist who said 50% on this drug get headaches and migraines. I had a big weight gain since on it. I have no hot flashes by day, but still have them at night.

Mimm | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/5/2017
Condition: Low Estrogen After Operation to Remove Ovaries

After trying both oral estradiol (not Prempro) and estrogen creams separately, I found that the estrogen cream was allowing my face to wrinkle very quickly. I decided to try the patch, since the gradual release is closer to nature than massive, 1X/day doses. Vivelle is bioidentical, too. However, given the generic version (Mylan), I found that 3 mornings later, my bioidentical progesterone (not "necessary" since I have no ovaries--but STOPPED THE WEIGHT GAIN I had when on estrogen alone!) seemed too high as the estr patch faded...a "racing" feeling like I had had too much coffee (I hadn't)& other symptoms. Reducing progesterone dose that one day did the trick, but is a pain to remember. With a fresh patch, I feel fine, so I'm thinking these patches just can't go the distance & my estr/prog got out of balance--the patches seem to need one more day in them. I'm switching back to oral pills, bc I can't fuss with dosing prog differently 2X/wk. Also, the Dr prescribed 1x/wk in error & box says 2X/wk. Different brands do this differently & it may have been the pharmacy's generic sub that caused the mixup--but this meant I changed it 2 days late (after 1st "obeying" Dr, then calling re: error). The resulting estrogen drop by days 4&5 on the same patch resulted in increasing vertigo, then a migraine. A quick change of the patch & I was about 80% better in less than an hour! *These were just my experiences & thoughts; call Dr if you have any issues!* BTW, bioidentical progesterone also MAY be protective for breast cancer; synthetic prog may increase risk. Oh, & when on pills, I take 1/2 my doses at night & 1/2 in the morning. It doesn't release as gradually as the patch, but it's something, & it doesn't hurt (Dr's OK with it). There are no studies I know of that are analyzing whether more natural patterns of dosing are any safer (I'd love to be able to dose cyclically the way my own ovaries did), but it seems less of a jolt than 1x/day. Someday, perhaps they will study this.

Mom2one | 45-54 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
5/21/2016
Condition: "Change of Life" Signs

I use 1.0 mg patch and cut it in 2/3. Crazy. But I have a question. Has anyone else experienced itching and a kind of numbness at the site of your patch? It's a very odd feeling on my left hip where I place my patch every other time (I switch hips each time). Thanks.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/14/2016
Condition: Low Estrogen After Operation to Remove Ovaries

I have used Vivelle Dot since its inception. Tried stronger mg dosing via pill-form prescriptions from various manufacturers; none of them worked. I find the Vivelle Dot, since its transdermal, is the best HRT for me and works using a much lower dose. Don't take my Dots away - ever!