Extreme mood changes and irrational crying. Slight depression and moderate to severe headaches/migraines. Very effective with regulating menstrual cycle.

MacAndCheese0123 | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/4/2018
Condition: Disease of Ovaries with Cysts

I had my period for three months on this pill. It didn't stop so I switched to another.

DiscerningDecider | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
1/4/2016
Condition: Painful Periods

I've been suppressing menstruation since 1997 and this is the pill that I've been taking since nearly the beginning. At one point, it was removed from the formulary available and the doctor tried to put me on a few different pills. I became highly emotional and reactive to the simplest situations with heart pounding, shaking hands, teary eyes, etc. I found an alternate source for the pills as these are the only ones that suppress menstruation, stop the monthly pain and nausea, and stop the severe mood swings. The side benefit for me was to avoid pregnancy. I'm now peri-menopausal and scared to stop taking the pill. I had to suppress menstruation due to major cramping and nausea (in bed for 1-2 days monthly) so I don't believe HRT is an option besides I have a family history of heart disease and breast cancer. I'm working with a doctor now to figure out the next step.

Anonymous | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/7/2014

I have been taking Ortho Novum for 4 maybe 5 months now, and I love it! I was on Levora for almost a year and gained a lot of weight, grew two cup sizes. Since I have been on Ortho Novum, I have lost a cup size and lost 15 pounds. I feel great, no mood swings, my period only lasts for 3-4 days and it is very effective.

Ttooth | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/2/2013

I'v taken this medication for 30 years and have never had any trouble with it, i've tried to switch to others for one reason or another but have always returned to this one

beccacarla | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/12/2013

I have previously been on the Ortho Evra patch for several years, but got of that and switched to the Ortho Novum 1/35 pill. The pill has made my periods a lot lighter, my breasts have grown 1 cup size, and I always look bloated and I'm only about 93 lbs (a healthy 93 lbs). My major concern and I am wondering if this is a side effect and if any other users have this problem. I have a healthy, active sex life with my b/f. My libido is high, but it seems that once it is time for action, I have no natural vaginal lubrication. On the patch, I did not have this problem at all. I am wondering if anyone had this same problem and if you switched to a different birth control or what you tried.