After vacomycin IV and extremely resistant MRSA staph bacterial infection, completed rifampin oral 300 mg twice a day for 28 days. Am now free of MRSA staph.

Here again i was prescibed this drug without any of my drs having first checked that it would be in conflict with the methadone that i take for relief of cronic pain.it has only been four days that i have been taking the 600 mg tablet,however the side affects are the worse i have ever encuntered.so much so,that i had to be taken to the emergency room during the night to seek relief of the extreme ...

Anonymous | Patient
3/26/2021
Condition: Inactive Tuberculosis

I've been using this drug abt 1 month I had everyday headache, is this okay?

Dfs | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/18/2021
Condition: Inactive Tuberculosis

So much joint pain, I can’t stand the pain in my legs and it has been only 2 weeks, I have an appointment with my dr tomorrow to see if he changes the medicine, it hurts so bad

Just Trying to Help | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/15/2020
Condition: Inactive Tuberculosis

I started this drug after being diagnosed with inactive/latent TB. I’ve been taking it for 2 months now and luckily have not suffered any significant side effects. I do however feel that my energy levels are significantly lower, and i lack motivation to get out of bed everyday. I take an extra cup of coffee every morning just to wake myself up. I’ve also seen changes in my bowel movements within the past week. Getting a lot of watery stool and diarrhoea. Will be glad to have finished this drug.

jessabell | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/1/2019
Condition: Inactive Tuberculosis

I was diagnosed with inactive TB through some lab work prior to starting a new prescription for my psoriasis. The infection disease doc recommended Rifampin because it was the shortest treatment time (4 months). I started with it once a day for a week, and took it right before bed. Outside of some restlessness, I felt okay. The second week I started the full dose, taking my pill in the morning and at night, at the same time each day. That's when I started getting terrible headaches during the first few days, and noticed significant drowsiness. After a few days, I felt cloudy and confused, and had a very difficult time concentrating - it was like being unpleasantly drunk all the time. I felt constantly out of it, had a hard time getting through the workday, and didn't feel safe driving because I couldn't focus easily on the road. My doc didn't have any suggestions except to try taking the pill with some applesauce (no help), or to wait it out to see if it got better. I am switching to INH this week because things are only getting worse on the Rifampin. It was worth a shot, but I'm crossing my fingers the Isoniazid will suit me better

SuzyQ35 | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/13/2019
Condition: Infection due to a Brucella Bacteria

I took 600mg combined with 200mg of Doxycycline daily for 8 weeks. Please keep in mind, that my my experience is based on the combi treatment. However, Doxycycline is not as strong and more harmless. My liver (already damaged by Brucella and under fire from taking Effexor and quetiapine for depression) was not happy, but will recover. I got blood work done every week and I am still under "survelliance". I often felt nausea, but still gained weight rapidly. I did not get my period during that time, but had water retention and a puffy face. I developed nerve sensititivy, which worsened throughout the day due to sun exposure. My urine turned orange, which I considered a pro as the colour is a great reminder to take the meds. Rifampin interferred with Quetiapin, an antidepressant I usually take. And this is where it gets really complicated: a. I suffer from bounds of depression since I was a teenager (now aged 35). b. Brucella causes depression c. Rifampin may cause psychosis /depression d. Rifampin impacted one of my antidepressant meds, which I had to stop taking during that time. My mood swings and depression were pretty much out of control for that treatment time and shortly before (about 3 months overall), but I really could not tell what the exact cause was for that out of that mix. Overall, the nerve sensitivity, weight gain and the depression was the worst side effects / symptoms I suffered during that time, but I am still very grateful that meds like this excist and could kill all bacteria off.