Bipolar - I took this med for one year with no blood testing. I started experiencing mixed symptoms and asked my doctor if my dosage might need to be adjusted. She then decided that my oxcarbazepine level should be checked along with my sodium. I was not even in the therapeutic range, so my dosage was increased. My sodium was only slightly low. A few weeks later my levels were checked again. ...

He gave me this he is a psychologist and I do not have sezuires.

BW | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
9/10/2021

Been taking oxcarbazepine for over 3 years now for bipolar 1 and it works really great. I felt it immediately and almost like a buzz in the beginning. I take the max for my mania at 2400mg a day (1200 morning and 1200 night) but I still have had no side effects whatsoever. Helps me keep my mania under control and I'm actually managing my condition now which is what it's all about. Depakote worked ok but did weird things to me. Lithium was ineffective and made food taste weird. And anti-psychotics are hell on me and actually make me psychotic. Oxcarb has been a revelation. I guess it doesn't work for everyone but for some of us it works like a charm. A real blessing for our incredibly challenging lives.Read More Read Less

FGG | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
3/3/2020

I've tried other meds for Bi-Polar but Trileptal has worked the best. I've been on it for about a year now, the only issue that I'm having right now is the my white blood cell count has dropped. My doctor is re-testing my wbc to ensure that it hasn't dropped any lower. If it does, he wants me to try a different med, which I don't want to do as it takes several weeks to get your levels right and also can put me at risk of having another episode.. which we all know is no fun! Keeping my fingers crossed. Read More Read Less

robert_stunner_ | 19-24 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/15/2019
Condition: Convulsive Seizures

This medication is not it for me, ive had so many drug interactions with other medications. Ive experienced the worst of the side effects as well. When taken with fluoxetine (prozac) i experience longer, more severe seizures. My body is always low on sodium, and im always in pain because of muscle spasms. Of course, i dont place 100% blame on the medication, my doctors suck and didnt warn or inform me of the possible drug interactions and severe side effects.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/2/2018

On this medication for Bipolar. It works really well for my mood. I have continued to experience some side effects, such as being a little unsteady on my feet when getting up or turning my body, but it's not bad (especially since I'm clumsy anyway). I have also experienced some mild blurry vision. However, overall, I am really impressed with the medication's results.

Bpmomma | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/20/2018

I take this medicine for bi polar disorder. It has been amazing. I have not gained weight or had any significant side effects to speak of like with every other medicine. It really helps me with mania and irritability. I do try to take the biggest amount of my dose at night though, due to daytime sleepiness. 900 mg at night 300 mg in the morning. It works for me.

Mom of Peyton | 13-18 | Male | Caregiver
4/26/2018
Condition: Facial Nerve Pain

Tn pain

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/30/2017
Mike | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/15/2017

This medication was supposed to be a cleaner version of Tegretol. After taking it for 4 weeks my girlfriend noted that I was very irritable and I could not sleep at all. This medication did not work for me and I do not recommend it.

dsakita | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/30/2016

Taken for Bipolar Depression: This was the first medicine prescribe for my recently diagnosed bipolar depression. Yes, I had stopped cycling as often, however, within a week I was increasingly irritable and had a personality change. It got to the point where people I worked with commented on my personality change. Since changing meds, the irritability has completely gone away.

julie864 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
12/14/2016

Bipolar 1. Been on this med for 8-10 years. Suffered low sodium at 117 and had to be hospitalized. It should be 135. Trileptal and Lamictal the culprits. Be careful on this drug. I've gone down from 12200 to 600 mg and have 2 points below normal range on sodium. It has been a miracle drug for me so I'm gonna see if I can stay on it at a lower dose and keep a check on my sodium

LeftyBob | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
11/7/2016
Condition: Convulsive Seizures

Works well, completely controls seizures, doesn't make me sick, tired, or sleepy like other seizure control meds. Downside, blood sodium levels are low. Need to really supplement my diet with a lot of salt and drink Gatorade daily. Small price to pay for seizure control

sue | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years |
7/21/2016

Extreme weight gain

Emily | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
2/17/2016

I have depression, Anxiety, and very bad mood swings. Ive been taking Trileptal for my mood swings for over a year now, and it has made such dramatic improvement on my life. Not only did it stabilize my mood, but also worked to treat my anxiety as well. The first week or so taking it, I was a bit dizzy and groggy but after that those symptoms went away, and in weeks my mood was stable and I was on to continuing a better life style.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
1/15/2016

excellent !!!

tsuyoikuma | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/9/2016

I take this for mood regulation/depression and let me say it is an absolute blessing after my first couple rounds of trying other antidepressants and psychiatrists, thank goodness for this last one. I take 600mg in the morning and 1200mg at night. After years of being a restless/light sleeper I can take the evening dose and in a half hour be sound asleep with no grogginess/drugged out feeling when I wake up a good 6-8 hours later, simply amazing.

Bi2 | 19-24 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/21/2015

I was diagnosed with Bipolar II Disorder. I was prescribed Trileptal as a mood stabilizer to help slow down the constant racing/obsessive thoughts. However, after some adjustments I found the right dose (150 mg) in letting me slow down and focus. I gave satisfaction four stars because you can only change the dose by 75 mg and I feel if I could take between 150 and 225 I would be in an optimal range. Also, I did have some side effects when I was around 225-300 mg. I had constant ringing in one of my ears and I felt my mind slowed down so much I could barely hold a thought. Overall, a good medicine to help slow down racing thoughts if you're diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder.Read More Read Less

Gracefull1 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/12/2015
Condition: Simple Partial Seizures

I began having nocturnal seizures after sinus surgery about a year and a half ago, the ER doctor and neurologist put me on Keppra 500mg twice a day. Keppra was horrible, I have bad headaches, I felt like I was in a fog the entire time I took Keppra, which was a year and a half and I was constantly angry ALL THE TIME..Keppra nearly ruined my life, I had to change neurologist to get the help I needed and get my medication changed..Now I am on Trileptal 300mg twice a day, this medication has helped me be me again, I am no longer angry and my head is clear and I feel normal again. I helped me on day 1 of taking it. I am happy with my decision to change neurologist to get the help I needed even though Keppra helped control my seizures, the side effects were worst then having the seizures.Read More Read Less

H.Mitchell | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/9/2015
Condition: Convulsive Seizures

I have been on Trileptal for a little over a year, and it has worked really well in controlling my frontal lobe epilepsy. Knock on wood.

Anonymous | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/1/2015

I'm giving this drug a five star rating because it has saved my life. I was not properly diagnosed for years with depression and was on Celexa and Ativan. I never could get off of the Ativan. The anxiety attacks were actual hell and caused me to be unable to function. I actually have Potsdam with bipolar. Now I can have conversation and desire to live. I see better days.

- | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/17/2015
Condition: Simple Partial Seizures

This medication has a really bad side-effect of affecting sodium levels. Twice in the five year history of taking it, I wound up in the hospital with simple partial seizures that would not stop. The second time was so severe they almost had to put me in the critical care ward. While I think this drug did a good job of stopping the seizures, it isn't worth the risk. Even with consistent monitoring of sodium levels, this still happened.