I have lived in West Africa for 7 years now. My company requires me to take Malarone or be sent home. I have had the normal side effects like mouth cold sores and some stomach umpset but none beyond that. Those that come to Africa for the first time should be careful when attributing diarrhea to the malarone... Most likely would have gotten the diarrhea either way... We have 400 expats working...

This medication is poison. It was very slowly killing me. I had my first side effects about 3 days after taking it. Rash on my feet and knees. Anxiety, touble sleeping, shallow breathing, tingling & numbness in my legs and arms and vivid crazy dreams. I was on a 2 wk and continued to stop and start the drug because of the severe side effects. I got home and was taking it for 4 days and by then was...

Winston | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/18/2020
Condition: Prevention of Falciparum Malaria

I took this drug for many trips to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands. The trips varied from one week up to four weeks. I never experienced any side effects and took this drug for a total of around 6 months over a 3 year period. [I tried an alternative anti-malarial when I ran out of Malarone on one trip - hydroxycloroquine - and had continuous stomach upsets and diarrhoea.]

Jane | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/30/2019
Condition: Prevention of Falciparum Malaria

I took Malarone for 10 days to prevent malaria while in a malaria zone in Africa. The side effects started off quite mild with a mild stomach pain and possibly slight depression. However, after 7 days of taking the medication I had the runs for three days and was suffering from anxiety attacks, depression and suicidal thoughts. I stopped taking the medication before the end of the course and will never touch it again. Since then I've been feeling lethargic and depressed and my stomach is still not 100% back to normal. I found this review page by searching for information about how long after stopping Malarone the side effects go away. I haven't found that information yet, but it looks like a lot of people are looking for it. Draw your own conclusions. Next time I'm just going to cover myself in DEET like I did anyway and not take any pills.

AHays24 | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/17/2017
Condition: Prevention of Falciparum Malaria

I am a 33-year-old female, and I took this drug while traveling to two countries in Africa for about three weeks in July 2016. I was pleased to not suffer any side effects while taking the drug, but as soon as I stopped taking it, I noticed immediate side effects right away. I took two days off when I got home to sleep off the jet lag and get adjusted, so I was groggy. But when I returned to work on the third day I couldn't remember quite a few of my co-workers names...people I'd worked with for a year. It took me several weeks to get everyone's name back so I could recall it quickly. When speaking even now (three months later), I often have trouble recalling the vocabulary word I'm looking for, and this only happened very rarely before. The worst side effect of all, I think, is that it's effected my short-term memory. I have a hard time remembering events that have happened a few days before. It's like some things just don't "stick" in my memory. Last week a colleague asked me for something concerning an event that we both attended a week before that, and my mind went completely blank. She told me I was at the event, and honestly, a tiny remnant of it came back, but I don't really remember being there. Not truly. Sometimes I can't remember a story or task I've told to a friend or colleague. Anyway, this is all pretty scary for a 33-year-old who was pretty quick-witted before and was in a Masters degree program just months ago. Worse, I'm to return to Africa in a few weeks and I'm just praying more Malerone won't make my condition worse or cause lasting damage.

JeaFel | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/5/2017
Condition: Prevention of Falciparum Malaria

I took Malarone for 7 days and got severe diarrhea 4 days into my trip to Tanzania. The lodge doctor said it was the malarone and had me stop that and take massive doses of imodium, which I had to take the remainder of my trip and a few days after returning home. I've been off Malarone for 24 days and still have loose stool every morning.

Anonymous | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/29/2016
Condition: Prevention of Falciparum Malaria

I took this drug for about 4-5 days in India before discontinuing due to side effects. My side effects included: 1. Depression and anxiety 2. Social detachment, inability to connect with others 3. Swelling, swimming feeling of the fluid in my eyes 4. A sense that people were speaking to me down a well, from far away 5. Dizziness, vertigo, swaying while standing still, trouble using stairs 6. Nasty chemical taste in my nasal passages 7. Frightening nightmarish sleep with no memory of the nightmares themselves, only anxiety and depression after waking from them 8. Intellectual fog, inability to process thoughts or communicate them very well Most of my 14 travel mates also took this medication and did not report any side effects. I just got lucky. The side effects vanished within 24 hours of ceasing the medication.