I laugh, (then get very sad) when I hear people say that parents who give their children the gift of focus, are lazy parents. I fought the teachers and doctors when they told me my son may need medication. I remember leaving a meeting in tears. Yet when my son was in third grade and not reading yet, I knew he needed help. I let his doctor put him on a min dose of Concerta, and pulled him out of sc...

I have been taking concerta for 3 years now, and while it has helped my studying, it is extremely difficult to come off of. What most people who comment on this site neglect to mention is that when you stop taking concerta you will become severly depressed. Prior to using concerta I NEVER experienced feelings like this. Concerta is just an easy fix for lousy parenting, but what most of these pa...

Irene | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/12/2021
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I have ADHD (inattentive/impulsive) with compulsive symptoms (related to anxiety) but my experience with this medication was mixed. On one hand, I saw improvement with this medication when I was taking 36mg maximum. I was doing my work and paying attention in class more than usual. I noticed I was socializing more often and found myself being productive rather than procrastinating through the whole day like I would. But when I started taking 54 mg (like I was told based on my body), I saw my attention improving more for a little while. Then my compulsion symptoms worsened drastically. I would usually be anxious and spend 1 hour on my compulsions, but this medication made me restless/anxious to the point I was spending 4-5 hours on my compulsions in a rapid pace. It was disturbing me to the point I would always feel horrible and exhausted and felt I was going uncontrollable. My compulsions and anxiety was still active while I was taking 18mg and 36mg, but 54mg was when these things happened. All I would say is be careful and if you’ve obsessive compulsive symptoms, make sure you get it treated along with the ADHD.

Anonymous |
5/8/2021

Anonymous |
5/3/2021

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/28/2021

I’ve made a previous description of my experience but I forgot to mention that I can barely remember anything from yesterday and all the days before that and I stopped taking it for just the summer and gained sooo much weight then lost a ton when school came back around and was on the medicine

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/28/2021

I’m 15 going in 16 years old in two months I’ve been in this medication since I was little I have ADD through out the time I’ve taken this medication if worked very well I was focused in school I could do my schoolwork and pay attention without any problem while taking it, but I just felt empty, I was very quiet, shy, antisocial, and anxious, and so skinny and didn’t have any pleasure of eating because it made me not hungry. I’ve been on the highest dosage for a couple years since and developed depression and anxiety and I have sleeping insomnia I wake up every hour or two I haven’t had a full nights sleep and my medication is not working anymore I have no energy to do anything all day every day and I get dizzy lightheaded and blurred vision when I stand up mostly every single day. I hope my experience helps you.