At first there are somer side effects like, eye swelling, rashes on legs,arms, and sometime stomach, and edema on the ankles, these symptoms will taper off. Your white blood count will eventually get very low and you might get sick with a cold or worsre so you may have to stay away from the general public so you don't catch any thing worse. This may be a major concern.

I have been taking this medication since Jan of 2008, so far I have had multiple side effects, edema of both legs, lot's of cramping in the legs and a general feeling of tireness,pain comes and goes in several area's. I hope this medication can help my type of cancer. Will stay on for now.

Joan | 75 or over | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/21/2018
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

I have been on Gleevec Since Jan. 2009 for GIST. I was first diagnosed in 2003 and had stomach surgery. Five years later second surgery when cancer spread to my liver. Several months later I was put on Gleevec 400 mg daily. First shock was the cost. $69,000 and 10 years later I am cancer free. Doctor won't use word "remission". I am grateful to be well. However the side effects are devastating: six years ago I had several iron infusions and since then have monthly B12 shots, am closely monitored for anemia. I have constant extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, fast heartbeat, weight gain and my biggest complaint, severe muscle pain and weakness. I walk with a cane or walker some of the time, cannot walk any distances, have to sit often, have to rest between chores, must sit while doing some of them (cooking for example). I am unable to work full time. If I have a day of excessive activity, I need next day to rest and recuperate. I remain in care of doctors as they agree my complaints are side effects of this drug. I am now on 200 mg daily of the generic. No change in any of the side effects. Drug still expensive. Yes, it saved my life. I know that. My quality of life is dramatically changed from the medication and I all always resent that. Read More Read Less

Gleevec | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/29/2018
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

Mt side effects from Gleevec are Joint pain and severe leg cramps and anxiety

Mike | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/27/2017
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

after 16 months on Sprycel, I experienced both pleural and heart effusion so was shifted to Gleevec. 6 weeks in, rash, stained teeth and dry eye with chronic conjunctivitis.Too soon to evaluate effectiveness, about a month away from first BAL with new drug. More later

wHairhouse | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
10/19/2016
Condition: Chronic Myelocytic Leukemia in the Blast Crisis Phase

Three years almost to the day since I was initially diagnosed. Dx'd in Accelerated Phase at 18% blasts (almost Blast Crisis), and my spleen was severely swollen. This is my third type of TKI inhibitor because I just can't seem to tolerate them, although I did get about a 5 month stretch of remission at one point from the second one I was on. When I came out of remission it hit me hard though. Within a matter of 4 months I went from 5% blasts to 42%. My side elects are: mouth sores, nose bleeds, uncontrolled abdominal pain in left upper quadrant under ribs, extreme bone and joint pain, extreme fatigue but also extreme insomnia,dehydration, loss of appetite, weight loss, extreme night sweats (sometimes I have to change in the night and lay a towel down where I'm laying in bed), shivering, cold/clammy, ptechai blood spots/rash, severe unexplained bruising (I can wake up and find a softball size bruise on my leg just from sleeping alone), occasional gastrointestinal bleeding, constipation, diarrhea, and brain fog (I live 6 blocks from the grocery and have forgotten half way there where I'm going only to break down crying and call my husband to help me). I'm not a candidate for a marrow transplant, so even continuing on the medication my survival prognosis in blast crisis is one year or less. If I stop taking the meds it will progress faster, but I won't have all these side effects. If I keep taking them, it will help me squeeze out every last day possible, my quality of life from side effects will be crap. I'm stuck and have no idea what I should do.Read More Read Less

LWT | 65-74 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/24/2016
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

Had 7 lb tumor removed in 2003. Didn't start gleevic a year later after metastasized to liver. Started on 400 mg and shrunk tumors. Tumors have come back 3 times but doctor increased dosage t0 800 mg. Now back on 400 mg. I will be taking rest of my life. The drug does cause hemorrhaging in my eyes. I thank God everyday for this drug. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

Jeanine | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/14/2016
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

I'm fairly new to Gleevec...taking 400mg a day for a 9.5cm GIST tumor that was removed entirely from my jejunum (small intestines). Taking Gleevec (Imatinib) to prevent recurrence. The side effects I am having most are occasional nausea, extreme fatigue (i am always tired from morning to night), blurry vision, muscle/joint aches

Anonymous | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
3/20/2016
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

Some early cycle gastro discomfort. Generally effective and over time, my body adjusted to the medicine.

Anonymous | 45-54 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
12/17/2015
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

4 years on Gleevec. had a 15 cm GIST removed, the drug stopped the growth and killed 50% of the cancer cells. Now 3 1/2 years cancer free. Side effects are manageable, mainly abdominal bloating.

Tex | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
8/22/2014
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

I have had few side effects with this medication and CML has been in clinical remission since being on Gleevec for six months. I have now been on it for 18 months. After 6 months on the medicine my cardiologist noted reduction of heart function or ejection fraction from 55% prior to Gleevec to 45%. After 6 more months of treatment, heart function declined further to 40%. My oncologist was considering changing medication when I opted to seek another opinion at M. D. Anderson. Fortunately, I was referred to a cardiologist there who monitored CML patients when Gleevec was being evaluated back in 2000. He had observed similar heart function problems to mine in patients who had had bypass surgery or stints (I had bypass in 2009). They found that a common beta-blocker blood pressure medicine restored heart funtion to normal within a few weeks. He prescribed Coreg for me and my heart function returned to normal in only one week. I am able to continue by treatment with Gleevec, I just have to add Coreg to my list of medications.Read More Read Less

grannyvibbert | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
3/19/2014
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

I have taken gleevec for 6 years but this year I'm dealing with blurred vision ,bacterial pneumonia and blood clots in my lungs .just praying this goes away.

Gleevec veteran | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/7/2014
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

I have been on 400mg daily of Gleevec for 8 years following surgery to remove a GIST. My overall experience has been excellent. Clean scans for 8 years. Only apparent side effects have been persistent and painful muscle cramps in hands, arms, legs and feet. 16 oz of tonic water with quinine daily has reduced the cramping significantly. Has anyone experienced hair loss with long term use of Gleevec or hemorrhaging of the small blood vessels in the whites of the eye? I'm experiencing both but don't know if they are due to the Gleevec.Read More Read Less

Muffin | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
11/26/2013
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

I was diagnosed in 2009 with a GIST of the duodenum that had spread to my liver, lung, kidney, pancreas, small intestines. I had a modified whipple procedure and started Gleevec. I lost 60lbs and was sick all day every day for about the first two years. Now, four years out, my nausea is controlled by phenegren for the most part. I still have bad days, but feel much better. I have been told I will have to take Gleevec for the rest of my life. But so far, so good. Grateful to God.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
11/1/2013
from | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
10/3/2013
Condition: Chronic Myelocytic Leukemia in the Blast Crisis Phase

from a100% positive test for cml to a99.9% neg. test in30 months. 400mg daily side effects are severe shotness of breath & swelling & pain in lower legs &ankles.

Garry | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/14/2013
Condition: Type of Leukemia - Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia

I have taken Gleevec since March 2003. I went into remission early on, and am overall pleased with results. If no insurance, med would be $9100.00 per month...crazy....help from PSI with co-pays. Side effects are bothersome, like diarehha, nausea, fatigue, but at 69 I am grateful for life and the Gleevec. Bone pain, leg cramps, feet cramps and Drs. don't ever seem to address these side effects or recommend anything to help them. Overall very pleased with blood results on Gleevec.

Donald | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/9/2013
Condition: Philadelphia Chromosome Positive Chronic Myelocytic Leukemia

I have side effects of Gleevec that are not comfortable but the drug is apparently doing what was expected.

ivette | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/7/2013
Condition: Stromal Tumor of Stomach or Intestines

I have an Epson 9 mutation, so I intake 800mg per day. side effects are notably strong, that is edema, anemia but...are there ways to reduce these side effects?

ew | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/1/2013
Condition: Philadelphia Chromosome Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

Diagnosed in Dec 2009. Chemotherapy, six treatments and stopped for risk concerns. On Gleevec for 30 months and in partial remission. Cancer % of blood very low on BCR ABL testing. Gleevec keeping me alive and for 70 still able to do many limited physical things. Unfortunately I am tired, have bone pain and muscle cramps on a daily basis. The diarrhea, eye and leg edema has subsided over time. I am hopeful the same will happen to other side effects. I am grateful to be here and to be enjoying my family. It is a difficult existence when compared to how life was before the leukemia and their support is what keeps me going. I encourage those with similar physical side effects to share the info with their family physician as they are able to prescibe helpful medications to deal with these problems. I take Zofran to help with stomach problems, flexeril for muscle cramping and immodium for the diarrhea. Advil helps with bone and joint pain. There are several new medications similar to Gleevec on the market. If your side effects are too severe maybe you should try one of those. Talk to your oncologist. As a final note. Without Gleeveec to fight the leukemia I would not be here to write this comment. That in itself says a lot about use of the medicine.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
10/23/2012
Condition: Chronic Phase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia

rash early on, subsided at about 2 months. runny stool. anemia early on. increased greens intake helps.

Fritz | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
10/8/2012
Condition: Philadelphia Chromosome Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

Diagnosed age 66. Am now 69, in full remission. Usually tired, and nauseated after dosage if I don't eat first. Sure am glad I have job and medical insurance, considering the price of Gleevec. Patent ends in 2015 I think. Maybe I can retire then! Good luck to all!