I have taken antibiotics for acne since I was 14. I started taking Nicomide when I was 30. It has worked better than any antibiotic I have ever taken. I am amazed it is not a mainstream treatment for acne, especially with so much concern about overuse of antibiotics.

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
1/3/2014

I've had acne since I was 10 years old (that's right 10 years old) and I'm 15 now. It's really hard dealing with it-- I don't have severe acne, but it's moderate. It's definitely worse than your average teenage acne. People don't realized the emotional effect acne has on people who suffer from it. I often wonder if I'd be more confident and outgoing if I had clear skin. I've visited a few dermatologists and I've been on Epiduo, Differin, Tazorac, Retin-A, antibiotics, and countless over the counter treatments, and none of the have ever helped. I was told by one dermatologist that I would most likely have to go on Accutane eventually, and that really tore me up emotionally. Both of my parents had acne, so it's in my genes. I already exercise regularly and have a balanced diet, so it really isn't a lifestyle issue, it's a gene and hormone issue. I saw a new dermatologist a year ago and she prescribed me Nicomide to take twice daily. She also told me that I most likely will not have to go on Accutane, which was a relief. At first, Nicomide didn't really do much, but I kept up with it for a few months. I've been on it for over a year now, and I've noticed when I'm taking it my pimples are less likely to be huge and cystic and when I do get really bad breakouts they're less often. So although this is by no means a miracle worker, Nicomide is the ONLY treatment that has EVER made a difference in my skin, and that's good enough for me. It's great because there's no side effects and I don't have to worry that it's risking my health like many antibiotics that I have taken. I'll say it again, it's not a miracle. Nothing is. I have acne in my genes and I'm a teenager with hormones, but Nicomide has made a positive difference, and that alone is a miracle seeing that I've never used a product before that helped my skin at all. I still break out, but my skin is not as bad. It's definitely worth a shot for anyone else with acne.

natyar | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/20/2013

I've been taking Nicomide for 5 months now. I've struggled with acne since I was 13. This year after I stopped breastfeeding my acne went out of control with over a dozen large cysts at a time. So I went to a dermatologist and she started me on Monodox 75mg and spironolactone 100 mg per day. They worked but made me feel horrible. So then she prescribed me the nicomide 1 a day to try then up to twice a day. I started seeing a reduction in the inflammation on 2 a day. I had mild digestive issues. I have to take with a meal to avoid heartburn or stomach pains. I had some increase in hair loss and I seem to be hungry and thirsty more. I have had steady improvement each month with PMS and hormonal acne flare ups. Once I added topical aczone and differ in gel. I am mostly clear. Best skin I've ever had. It seems to help with anxiety too.my insurance copay is about $30 a month.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/14/2013

After trying many other treatments for my moderate cystic acne, my dermo Rx'ed me Nicomide, with a dosage of 2 tablets per day. The dosage listed on the bottle is 1 tablet per day for adults, but given the relative severity of my breakouts, I followed my doc's orders and took it twice a day. Several weeks into the regimen, I had bloodwork done for an unrelated issue, and my liver panels came back abnormal/elevated. My GP and I did some further research, and it turns out that high doses of nicotinamide have been associated with liver toxicity in some patients. I let my dermo know about the liver results, and have cut back to just 1 tab a day, as per the labeling instructions. If you're taking more than 1 tab a day for any extended period of time, definitely consider having your liver enzymes looked at periodically, just to make sure you're not one of the people who reacts to the drug. It might also be a good idea to limit alcohol consumption while taking Nicomide, just to be on the safe side.

CJ | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
7/1/2012

I have taken Nicomide on and off for over 10 years now, I don't really even understand how it works but it does! I find if I stop taking my 2 tablets a day I get a couple cystic pimples, a few smaller ones, and my pores clog more easily in general. The second best part of the medication is the fact that I have never experienced any adverse side-effects. My pharmacist is great and keeps it stocked just for my brother and I as I have read that some people had a hard time finding a pharmacy that carries it. My co-pay is also very inexpensive so I don't think I'll ever stop taking this if I can. My dermatologist first prescribed Aldactone for me but I did not see a difference in my skin and I believe only women can take it. So, Nicomide has been perfect for my (and my brothers) now, very mild acne. If you have bad acne I would definitely suggest taking a cycle of Accutane and using the Nicomide afterward to keep up your results if you get them. One cycle of Accutane kept my skin completely clear for about 5 years. Once it did wear off though, my acne did not come back anywhere near as bad as it was before. My brother has continually taken Nicomide after Accutane and his skin is better than mine has ever been and his acne was much worse, so it certainly depends on the person.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/7/2011

I been taking Nicomide for years and it worked just fine until recently. I'm going to increase my dosage to 3 a day. My insurance does cover my prescription. I get my through mail order and it's only $20 for a 90day supply.