JoTourist | 25-34 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/6/2008

I was prescribed this medication while on vacation in Mexico when I presented with a severe sore throat, sinus pain, runny nose, and ear ache (poor drainage from eustation tube). Doctor prescribed a 3 day battery of 1g I.M. injections, indicating I would feel better about 6 hours after the first injection. He was right - I felt better after about 6 hours, though slept a good portion of the day through. The following morning, the primary symptom (sore throat) was unnoticable, and my ears nearly completely cleared. I continue to cough and have a runny nose 2 days after treatment stopped. Those symptoms have responded to other OTC medications. I didn't notice any side effects beyond mild localized pain around the injection sites. Having the Lidocaine mixed-in seems to help a lot, since the injections themselves were fairly painless. Mild bruising to the pride due to having to have someone give me shots in the backside, but that has healed quickly. :) I have not yet followed-up with my primary physician on this episode, but unless there's something completely hidden from me; I'd say this medication worked. Ratings: -High for effectiveness. It got me back on my feet in time to enjoy my vacation! -Low rating for "ease of use" since it's an I.M. injection. -Overall satisfaction is a 4/5, only because I still have the cough & runny nose... although those are probably just residual symptoms clinging on after the primary infection has been resolved.