This product produced extreme gas on an all day basis, making it difficult to interact with others. It was not painful but very uncomfortable. I drank Glucerna once, sometimes twice a day. That is, until I figured out what was causing this horrible flatulence.

It gave me severe diarrhea 15 minutes after I drank it. I tried it several times just to make sure that it was the Glucerna and it was. I had to go back to more expensive Boost glucose control shakes which I don't have any problems with.

Sharon | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
11/27/2022

I have using this Glucerna flavor Peaches and Cream for more than a year. I is my favorite flavor. My second choice is Strawberry. I have actually lost some weight and feel satisfied with no hunger for a few hours. I have no bowel issues or nausea from using this product.

Kali | 55-64 | Female | Patient
11/15/2022

I drink Glucerna once a day at work. I am at the beginning stages of diabetes and was told by my doctor said I can control it w diet. This drink has very slow released carbs to keep u level all day. I love it because it keeps my energy up and burning evenly. I get no “ crash” at all. I sip it throughout my day. No diarrhea at all.

nursemasseuse 0 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/5/2022

Every time I drink a shake within 5 minutes I'm nauseated, sometimes vomiting and then the diarrhea starts. What is in this drink that makes people sick?? It was listed #1 as a meal replacement for diabetics. It doesn't help if I can't keep it down. I'm not lactose intolerant nor have any food allergies!

Dodie | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/1/2022

Horrible diarrhea!!! I tried it on several occasions just to be certain. Without a doubt, Glucerna Protein Smart caused uncontrollable diarrhea. The taste is good and it is convenient, but I won’t use it again.

Patty | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/23/2022

I’m an insulin dependent diabetic who can only swallow liquids due to stricture in my esophagus. The threat of a feeding tube to provide nutrition led me to try meal replacements. Glucerna Protein Smart is the choice. I’ve been able to drink 2 bottles a day with no adverse side effects. I’m Lactose intolerant so I wasn’t sure if I could handle the milk products but so far so good.

Mitzy Pearson | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
7/6/2022

This product causes severe Diarrhea. Glucerna should label its product with this possible side effect.

Glucerna consum | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/14/2022

I don't have diabetes, but I did seven days before have twenty-one teeth extracted and flitted with dentures. Since I have been drinking Glucerna Hunger Smart I have been extremely constipated. Once while in a Target department store restroom I thought I may have to end up calling 911 for some relief. Either that or drinking an entire bottle of hot sauce and waiting for the end results. Fortunately after about thirty minutes of intense pain and panic I was relieved. Before my teeth extractions I was consuming at least one can of chunky fruit cocktail in 100% juice perday and mostly vegetables and had a healthy digestive system. Fruit with every meal. I have read where it causes loose bowels in some people. They should be thankful. Read More Read Less

Chris P | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/13/2022

I like the product but have noticed my stomach burbles and I have a lot of gas. Just standing up produces embarrassing results. I’m newly diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and haven’t really noticed improved blood sugar levels. Not sure I will buy it again

GLUCERNA | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/6/2022

Have experienced nausea twice now, and my lips started to swell, so I'm obviouSLy allergic to something in it

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/14/2022

I like the taste of the strawberry and it’s convenient to make sure I don’t miss any meals while taking my meds for DM but it makes me feel nauseous after drinking it. I’ll finish the case I bought but I think I’ll stick to the Atkins shakes.

Glucerna | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/9/2021

It gave me bad diarrhea not long after drinking it the last two times.

Bre | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/13/2020

I tried this product because I had started a very physical job and needed to keep my blood sugar from dropping so fast. However, I couldn't continue it, because it gave me severe sudden attacks of diarrhea. I actually ended up quitting my job over the embarrassment as it happened twice .

John | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/26/2020

I drank a couple of them and got loose stools before I noticed it contains carrageenan. I just didn't expect it to have carrageenan as Glucerna touts itself as being gluten-free for people with celiac disease; I mean more people suffer from ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, and irritable bowel syndrome than celiac's. Scientific studies have show that carrageenan may worsen or will worsen symptoms of people with irritable bowel diseases. I know carrageenan is FDA approved in the US, but it's not approved in other countries. I also know normal healthy people can eat carrageenan with no problem, just as normal health people can eat gluten as part of a balanced diet. If you have an irritable bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome think twice before drinking Glucerna.Read More Read Less

bariatricpreopdiet | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/5/2019

I am undergoing bariatric surgery in 2 weeks. So this product was a recommended meal supplement 5-6 times a day. I'm going on day 3 and I've noticed that after drinking this shake my throat becomes very itchy and I can't stop sneezing. They taste better than ensure so I bought a bunch. I can't figure out if the symptoms are due to ketosis or that I am allergic to the product. Pay close attention to how it affects you.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/21/2019

I drink a shake every morning. I enjoy the taste and feel full afterwards. I only had bowel issues once but I had drank 2 of them for breakfast.

Cindy | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/9/2017

Mandy | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/14/2015

Gave me terrible diarrhea. Also, the taste is not great. Leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Won't buy again.

Pumper | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/5/2015

I am a insulin diabetic waiting for oral cancer surgery. This product has been wonderful since I can't eat normally - everything burns my raw ulcer. No digestive side effects for me at all.

Rahrahrah | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/3/2015

Have been using it for years (I am insulin diabetic)Love it. Had some bowel probs but they quit after a couple of weeks. I use it bk, lunch and food, snack, bedtime. Eat a reg dinner. Does Glucerna cause memory problems? Use Glucerna snack drinks mostly. Short term memory seems to be getting noticeable but maybe it's because I'm 72. I certainly love the product and want to know if memory loss is a factor.

liz | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
6/11/2014

My elderly father has had diarrhea for 24 hours. He is borderline diabetic so when I saw this in the area where the ensure was I thought it was the perfect solution. I even read the label to make sure it did not say anything about causing diarrhea. His symptoms are so much worse now. I just went online and found all these awful reviews. He may have to be hospitalized now, I am madder than a hornet. These bottles should be required to have labeling!!!! He can hardly leave the toilet and he is very frail and has dementia and this stuff might kill him!!Read More Read Less