My son takes 10mgs in morning,and 2.5 at lunch.He is a straight A student and his focus on school has only gotten better! without the meds, he is uncontrollable!

cskelton1984 | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/15/2018
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I'm on a combo of Bupropion for ADHD, anxiety, and depression. The Bupropion was somewhat ineffective for ADHD, but helped with the anxiety and depression, so we added focalin/dexmethylphenidate. I am still taking 300mg Bupropion XL and added 10mg dexmethylphenidate er. I am very happy with the results. I feel more focused, have a much greater attention to detail, I am more aware of my surroundings (due to less daydreaming), just overall almost off my ADHD symptoms are significantly reduced. I experienced a very mild headache the first couple of days as well as extreme sleepiness in the afternoon, but a week later, those side effects have subsided. The first couple of days I also felt like I was at a loss of words, like I couldn't form coherent sentences and spoke sort of robotic, that also went away. My only issue is that it's going to be a pain to refill, since it's a controlled drug. It's also not in stock at most pharmacies, so I either have to ask around before my doctor fills it, or wait. Kind of a pain, but worth it in the end.

Bobby64 | 25-34 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/19/2016

My psychiatrist gave this to me for my depression to work in tandem with the medicine Brintellix and Lamotrigine. Although those medicines have given me genuine emotion back, I still feel tired most of the time even with a healthy diet, regular exercise, and consistent sleep schedule. We hoped this would give me energy. It did give me a little more energy for working, but I felt emotionless, thus negating the positive effects of my antidepressants, so it wasn’t right for me. Also, the vivid dreams I had while on the medication were sometimes unpleasant.

dee1974 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Caregiver
11/23/2015
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

Mother of 2 boys on Focolin XR ages 11 & 8. This med has helped both boys focus and seems to be very effective.Both boys began on brand name focolin and had few side effects, 8 yo seemed to chew on things alot such as bottle tops etc, the 11 yo had bouts of loss of appetite. No other side effects boys only took meds during school hours, no weekends or summer and breaks from school. Teachers saw drastic improvement in both. Our family moved to another state and was prescribed the generic form both boys had severe side effects had to discontinue med. Will request ONLY brand name from now on, no generic substitutes. My rating above is based on focolin xr NOT generic form of dexmethyphenidate hcl, I rate generic as 0.

NEBeachBum | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
6/16/2015
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I am a 19 year old female that has been prescribed every ADHD med there is on the market, I am not kidding. Focalin/dexmethylphenidate is really the last one we hadn't tried. It's potentcy is double the strength of Ritalin and Methylin. Which was the last med I was prescribed before making the switch to the generic Focalin. The FDA suggested max dose is 20mg daily, due to the severity of my ADHD, my doctor has me on 35mg a day. I do not feel anxious and get headaches as other users have noticed from when they take it. I can't say the medicine makes me feel depressed because I also have a mood disorder, in which I take medication for as well. I am very please with how Focalin has helped me, in the classroom, at my job, and just in my everyday life. I notice that I am able to sit and focus on one task for as long as I need to and can sit still in my classes without feeling jittery or the need to talk to others around me. At work, I noticed that I can sit at my cubicle all shift and my mind doesn't wander off to "la la land" as my mom calls it. Overall, I am pleased with Focalin. The 2 side effects I notice are loss of appetite and loss of sleep, but those 2 side effects have effected me with literally EVERY other ADHD med as well. I've been taking Focalin for almost 3 years, and will mostly have to be on the medication the rest of my life. Focalin has been the most effective med for treating my case of ADHD

kmc1968 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/2/2012

I have Multiple Sclerosis which cause EXTREME FATIGUE-I was put on this medication to give me energy-I was supposed to take 2.5mg twice a day. Day 1 I took a pill early in the am and I felt like I was flying high on speed and my heart/chest felt "stressed" so I did not take the 2nd does-in fact by 2pm I had to take a valium to "come down"! Day 2 I took 1/2 a pill early in the am yet still had the side effects of day one. Needless to say I stopped taking it!