I have a history of diverticulosis. Twice now when food got trapped in the intestine pockets, I have been prescribed Lactulose. When I asked how this worked so quickly to eliminate my pain, the doctor explained this medication acts as a magnet to enter the pockets and then eliminates the rotting food particles trapped in there. It creates moisture and sends it on its way thru the intestines where...

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/9/2021

I was so constipated and had to go to the emergency room for help. After 2 soft soak enemas little came out but was still constipated. So they gave me lactulose to take for 5 days. I went as soon as i started taking the medicine. I did gave bad gas, bloating and stomach rumbling. Stopped after 3 days as it was sending to much pressure to my bottom. I feel tons better now.

BSR | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/23/2021
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

I have cirrhosis. Had a T procedure done. Dr felt I was young enough and my liver would still filter enough toxins. She was wrong. Lactulose solved the encephalitis issue. Cleans your system thoroughly. Without it I would likely be institutionalized or pass on if it resulted in a coma. Great medication for my case.

Nanny Deb | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/23/2021
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

Had major surgery and still deal with Carcinoid Cancer and have bad constipation. After 1st dose of Lactulose I experienced Severe cramping in upper to mid back area - I thought I was having a heart attack! Eventually it did help with constipation but who wants to go thru that? I found a daily drink of home brewed Kefir Water works naturally and quite well. If I have any more issues I will try Olive Oil! Great advice, go natural.

Pammiepi | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
1/29/2018
Condition: High Amount of Ammonium in the Blood

I suffer from Liver Disease so I accumulate high (according to blood tests, "critical") amounts of ammonia in my blood. I used Lactulose early on as prescribed, but also was given Xifaxan, a broad-spectrum antibiotic, which does the same thing PLUS it treats IBS-D, which I also have! Unfortunately, Xifaxin is super expensive, which is ashame, since it treats BOTH IBS-D

julie | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
8/23/2017

has not helped at all!

Tanja | 25-34 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/17/2017
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

This medicine works as advertised. However my doctor never told me that olive oil could do the same thing. Realizing the strain on the liver and kidneys that follows from a long-term usage of laxatives, I started taking two tablespoons of olive oil every morning into an empty stomach and I have a bowel movement every day. (Of course this means that I watch out for fats throughout the rest of the day). Olive oil has saved my kidneys, my liver, and it has saved me.

windsurfer | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient

9/13/2015
SRH | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/8/2015
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

This medicine has worked at keeping my ammonia levels down, but taking it twice a day for 1 year now and am still trying to adjust to going to the bathroom so much and nit having the ability to be too far from a bathroom is so limiting on my lifestyle. I do have an abundance of gas and I do take it with OJ due to the taste. For me it is better than the alternative. I take this with xifaxin

SARA | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
6/29/2015
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

MY DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED THIS FOR APPROXIMATELY 8 YEARS! I HAD TO INCREASE AND INCREASE THE DOSAGE FOR IT TO WORK, SO NOW I HAVE TO TAKE THE STRONGER LINZESS WITH IT. IT DOES GIVE ONE GAS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT CONTINUED USE OF A LAXATIVE WAS BAD FOR US? WHY DOES MY DR. KEEP ME ON IT FOR SO LONG? BECAUSE I'D NEVER GO WITHOUT IT (I HAVE A TWISTED COLON) AND NOW I THINK I HAVE A BLOCKAGE…….BELLY IS SWOLLEN ALL THE TIME AND ABDOMINAL PAIN IS NOW 24/7. G.I. SPECIALISTS JUST WANTED ME TO DRIVE 200 MILES (ROUND TRIP) TO PHYSICAL THERAPY. I DID NOT….HOW WOULD MASSAGING MY BELLY UNTWIST MY COLON!!! I WANT A SURGEON, BUT DO NOT HAVE AN APPOINTMENT UNTIL AUGUST!!! MIGHT BE DEAD BY THEN…….Read More Read Less

Jo | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Caregiver
6/11/2015
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

After chronic constipation, it was suggested to me that I take magnesium. Works like a dream, everyday. no more problem.

badondie | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/23/2014
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

I have hepatic encepalopathy (brain fog caused by liver disease.) My doctor wants me to take it with another drug. The lactulose is sickly sweet and thick. I have problems keeping it down, it's so gloopy and sweet it makes me vomit. Also, gas has becone an issue. I do think it's helping with the brain fog issues though so I probably keep taking it. I hope somebody invents some other drug that isn't sick making.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/28/2014
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

My cheeks turned red and puffy could this be from the lactulose? It really hurts. Please advise.

psgrannyof3 | 65-74 | Female | Patient
5/16/2014
Condition: Impaired Brain Function due to Liver Disease

I have terrible cramping with this drug and also I have 4-6 stools per day. This leaves me not wanting to leave home. The cramping wears me out.

Anonymous |
5/8/2014

i am better

tsdemayo | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/5/2014
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

I've had IBS all of my life, and it's always been very painful. I am very happy with Lactulose, now i have no pain, cramping, or hemorrhoids. I have not experienced any negative side affects at all, and my only issue is i have several bowel movements a day, but my doctor assures me this is fine.

Sandi | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
5/2/2014
Condition: High Amount of Ammonium in the Blood

I wonder if this is habit forming to the colon. I have a colostomy. 1 tablespoon of this every other day is more than I can handle.

still-learning o | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
4/21/2014
Condition: High Amount of Ammonium in the Blood

Caused explosive diarrhea that was exhausting for 84 year-old. Nutritionist suggested bran muffins and a teaspoon of fruit pectin plus discontinued use of robotic. Ammonia level is down. ...confusion is decreasing.

lactomed | 45-54 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/26/2014
Condition: Incomplete or Infrequent Bowel Movements

i am satisfy with this drug