Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/26/2010
Condition: Process of Making X-Rays of Stomach or Intestines

I am a 46 year old woman who went in for a barium enema to check for abdominal blockages. I was sick from the first moment they put the barium in me until that evening. I was horribly sick to my stomach from it. Someone should warn patients before they take any tests using barium.

Anonymous | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/26/2010
[email protected] | 35-44 | Female | Patient
9/17/2009
Condition: Process of Making X-Rays of Stomach or Intestines

I am a 42 year old female went to drink the barium on Wed morning for scan of stomach, lower bowel. Thursday was vomitting all day, cramping and i did not know this was a side effect from this medicine. I had a test for Friday morning but wound up making a trip to the emergency room the pain was so severe i thought i was going to die. I begged them to cut it out, i was put on morphine and demerol for the pain. I spent 5 days in the hospital because the barium did not pass through my body and turned to paste and blocked my bowels i was given 10 enemas, drank Go Lightly and walked alot but to no avail. Now 2 days later i am back at the hospital to take a test to see if i have passed it out. So please ask how to get rid of it from your body before you leave and how fast does it turn to paste. I do not want any person to ever have to go through what i have. The pain in like having a baby without taking any drugs.Read More Read Less