5 Overall Rating

I am currently enrolled in a methadone program and this drug, phenytoin, (dilantin) metabolizes(burns off) the methadone sooner than normal. I'm experiencing the unmistakable feelings of whithdrawal now where before there had been none. I dose at the clinic when the doors open at 6 am. By that evening, 8:00pm or so, I feel the "jones" or withdrawal start. Most common, irritablility, aggitatio...

Anonymous | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/30/2013
Condition: Seizure Occurring during Neurosurgery

long term use of this drug has many side effects: bone loss,balance problems,tooth and gum disease,as well as liver disease. i have been taking this medication since 1992 because of a brain tumor. i take both the 100mg pill and the 50mg chewable tablet. im also taking gabitril 12mg which works with the dilantin to prevent seizures.i have my levels checked about every 2 months or sooner if i start to feel tired all the time.one big drawback to this drug is that its common for a persons levels to rise or fall without any reason for it so if you start to feel real tired it may be because your levels are to high. on the other hand if my level gets too low then im in danger of having a seizure.overall it has worked well. my doc tried to put me on another med. but it didn't work. the side effects of long term use are now catching up with me.!

X | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
2/19/2012

I've been taking this medication for about 6 years. Everything was fine until my recent surgery in September....now it's not working very well for me....I guess I'll be going back to the brand name medication.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
9/14/2010
Condition: Prevention of Seizures following Head Injury or Surgery

I have been taking this medication for 30 years following a head injury from a car accident..I have had over 300 seizures...and everytime I was taken to the e.r. my potassin was almost 0 ..I had to be given it by i.v. to bring my level up everytime..I was never given a reason why it was low...just given it by i.v and sent home..until the next seizure and then the process was repeated time an time again..it would be nice to know why ...but no dr. would ever give me a reason for it..so I guess I will live out my life not knowing...no matter how short or long it will be...I have been told by dr's t a seizure can be fatal at any time...that does concern me..but it appears there's nothing I can do about it...............if anyone out there has the answer to it..I would be grateful to get it ..thank you

Anonymous | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient