I've had chronic diarrhea for over a year and 2 GI doctors couldn't fix it. Went to try one more and he said try this. Worked wonders. As a matter of fact it worked to well. Had to back off and only take it every third day. But it's been a great feeling not to be afraid to go somewhere unfamiliar (not knowing where the bathroom is).

I have only just picked up my prescription for this drug so I'm not sure how it will work but hoping for the best after having severe IBS for 11 years. After that many years of dreading the trip to the bathroom I'm hoping it will work! Just wondering what time of day is best to take it? I'm on no other meds other than the contraception pill that I take at night.

BrandonORG | 35-44 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
3/22/2021
Condition: chronic diarrhea due to bile acid malabsorption

I had my gallbladder removed in 2014, it was very difficult for me since anything I ate I had to use the restroom 20 minutes later. One thing is donâ??t use anti-diarrhea medication with this. It will cause sleeping issues. Other than side effects it helped a lot, make sure you find out the perfect dosage and not to over do it.

Rose One | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/20/2020
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

I've been fighting with chronic diarrhea for 30 years and it got worse after I had my gall bladder removed. Nothing else was working, including prescription medications, so I was pretty much housebound at this point. I knew that cholestyramine did work for me before, when I was prescribed it once before for high cholesterol. So I asked my current doctor to let me try it for diarrhea. I can now go places again, but I do have a couple of side effects. I do have a lot of smelly gas. I can't take the full prescribed dose either.(Could that be a good side effect?) I take only half a packet once a day and usually skip it altogether one day a week. I don't get constipated this way. I am diabetic, but can't use NutraSweet so I get the packets sweetened with sucrose and make sure I count that as most of my daily sugar allowance.(I am not on insulin, just medication.) In any case, I am now free to go places again, and the painful cramps I also had to deal with, are now getting fewer and farther between, and less painful. I am worried about the possibility of weight gain though, that I read about in some of the other reviews. I can't walk much, so I don't lose weight easily. All in all, cholestyramine might be the answer for me.Read More Read Less

Jean 0 | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/23/2019
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

After Colin cancer in 2008 I lost my gall bladder 2 years later ,no have rarely gone more than a few days without diarrhea, it just ran from me no control at all. Hated going anywhere with out a lot of Imodium. Took a young practitioner, who works with my gastrointestinal dr to make this suggestion, it�s a lifesaver only restriction for me is take it at least 4 hours after any other meds or 4 hours before . I do this works like a charm .

Anonymous | 75 or over | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/30/2018
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Have used for the last two years, one 4oz package a day after breakfast. Recently it has suddenly become less effective towards the end of the day. Combining this drug with one generic imodium 2-mg anti-diarrheal tab, I find, restores efficacy for the entire 24 hour period.

Dubsy | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/7/2018
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

I had my gall bladder removed several years ago and then suffered from chronic diareahe. This medicine works brilliantly and I take it religiously ,only downside is I have put on a considerable amount of weight

PMPTERP | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/10/2017
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago. Had diarrhea afterward which continued to become more frequent until I had it constantly. Doctor prescribed this but it did not work the first time. Come to find out I had colitis. Once I got the inflammation under control from the colitis, I was switched to this and it works wonderfully. Haven't had an episode since I sarted and my fear of having an accident has greatly declined. This has firmed up my stool considerably (it hadn't been firm for 5-10 years). Not getting this issue resolved earlier has resulted in other problems, i.e., my contracting my muscles to prevent an accident had me actually squeezing things out unintentionally, my rectum shrunk because it hadn't held stool in it for so long - I am working on retraining my muscles so that they work properly after not working properly for so long. I am going to biofeedback therapy and it is working wonders. Hoping to be back to normal in all regards this uyear. Read More Read Less

iowarose | 75 or over | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/17/2017
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

My chronic diarrhea hit me hard and totally unexpected. Use of this medication stopped the problem immediately. I find it a little gritty but the alternative worse and so take it faithfully. I mix it with a small amount of water to dissolve and add juice or any brightly flavored drink that strikes me at the time. I plan to use packets when traveling as they are convenient. The relief of not having to live in the toilet or being otherwise embarrassed by accidents is a wonder. I have had some trouble sleeping and a "hyper" sensation at times, but I hope these symptoms reduce with time. It feels so good to eat again without fear of repercussion. Read More Read Less

Patmlem | 35-44 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/27/2017
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Worked great. However I think I am allergic to it. Had trouble sleeping because my throat was swelled up. I also noticed it made my lips numb when taking the medicine.

Glenda Walters | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
11/28/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

I had suffered with chronic diarrhea for many years following gall bladder surgery. I went to a gastroenterologist and he put me on this medication. It started working immediately and has been a virtual life saver for 15 yrs. I had no life before this because I couldn't go in public without using the bathroom several times a day. This has been a miracle drug for me. No side effects at all.

diareaha | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/28/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

taste terrible and gritty makes me sick to my stomach.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/19/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea
ZAndushay | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
4/22/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

If you are having trouble taking this medication, I have found that using Vitamin Zero water - Lemonade 4 oz and put in a small shaker cup add powder then shake well and goes down a lot smoother. You need to add a little water to get the small amount that is left. This is a miracle drug - I went from going 7-8 times a day down to going twice a day and regular.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Patient
4/3/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Struggled for over 10 years to control diarrhoea spasms,this drug was effective after 2 doses only side effect for me is the weight gain, 9lbs in a year and dieting is very difficult

Elertsoncyahoo.com | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
3/11/2016

Had two gall stones opted for removal of gall bladder after a year n a half of not being able to eat anything basically starving myself..doc gave this med to me n I love it. Only take one packet a day I have not gained weight or lost..my weight has stayed the same but I do not eat any fatty or fried foods I stick to my diet.

GR8FUL1 | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/17/2016
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

After 30 years of constant and intense abdominal pain and diarrhea, Cholestyramine solved the problem instantly. I had been misdiagnosed with IBD and IBS/D. After putting my life on hold for 30 years I can live again!

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/6/2015
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Taken this med for over 25 years. Has gradually come down on the amount of medication. Can't live without it. Life changing medication.

kitten66 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/30/2014
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

It gave me a stomach ache gas and have to urinate more than use too.

Steffienurse | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/24/2014
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

I have IBS and had almost constant diarrhea, nothing was working. The diets didn't work, other medication made me loopy or didn't work at all. Finally, I was put on this med and the change has been so dramatic, I can eat again! I just have to eat fiber and drink lots of water to keep from getting backed up but that's fine, I was doing that before I had IBS. I love this stuff!

barb | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/26/2014
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

Does this medication cause weight gain?

Free | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/10/2014
Condition: Chronic Diarrhea

I am free to get out of the house without the thought of where are the bathrooms and should I wear a depends for protection. I am FREE!