This cleared up my sinus infection, but with terrible side effects. I experienced anxiety, depression, vivid nightmares, and one auditory hallucination. I also experienced extreme irritability. I was unable to finish the whole course due to the side effects, but my infection was cleared by then. I will not take this medication again.

I went to my doctor for a sinus problem. He determined I had the beginnings of a sinus infection. He prescribed this medication, which I've been on for 4 days. It hasn't done a thing for me. I can't sleep at night since my nose is still so plugged and my sinuses are still so painful. This drug does nothing for sinus infections.

Dill | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
9/26/2021
Condition: Middle Ear Infection

The WORST drug my partner has ever taken. It was prescribed by a GP to take 2 doses a day for a simple ear infection. * 1st day - right after taking the first doze after 1 hour - bloating, nausea, dizziness, feeling of vomiting, feeling cold, acid reflux * 2nd day - Terrible taste in the morning, nausea, a little better, feeling of vomiting, no energy - AT NIGHT: Racing heartbeat, feeling of ball in throat, anxiety, panic attack, couldnt sleep till 2am * 3rd day - THE WORST - Heavy panic attacks, anxiety and racing heartbeat - At night: 6 hour panic attack with crying and noneasiness, heavy anxiety, took 2 showers, didnt help *ENDED IN THE EMERGENCY* Checked heartbeat, blood pressure and blood count. Doctor advised its side effects from taking it. Advice was to stop immediately. 6 hours in the emergency room. * 4th, 5th, 6th day - Stopped taking it, however the side effects continued and still do. - Terrible anxiety & panic attacks combined with insomnia for 3 days. Barely caught any sleep. - Chest pain continued and heart rhythm was elevated - Felt nauseous I am extremely disappointed that this drug is still on the market and GPs continue to prescribe it to patients. Read More Read Less

KoalaGirl06 | 19-24 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/24/2021
Condition: Middle Ear Infection

I got given this after Amoxicillin did not manage to clear my double middle ear infection. Straight after taking the first dose I experienced a lot of nausea and a horrible taste in my mouth, and this immediately affected my sleep. I felt like I could vomit at any second. I continued taking it after a call to my GP and the next day I began experiences a very rapid heart rate and later that evening heart flutters. This all lead to about a 6-hour panic attack where I felt completely out of control of my body, I had shortness of breath and a racing heart as well as nausea and all the other symptoms. Despite my best efforts I could not get myself to calm down and I think I slept a total of 45mins. (Side note: I am fortunately not someone who’s ever struggled with extreme anxiety or mental health disorders so this was all very out of the norm for me.) The next day I continued to experience a lot of anxiety and even in moments where my brain felt calm, my body seemed to continue in a state of shock with my breathing completely off and random bursts of panic. I eventually fell asleep from sheer exhaustion and have slowly been beginning to feel like myself again. I would never recommend this antibiotic to anyone and I will NEVER be taking it again. (I did not even come close to finishing the course) Truly some of the most horrendous few days I’ve ever experienced. Read More Read Less

A | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/22/2021
Condition: Infection of the Middle Ear caused by Streptococcus

AVOID. This medication whilst my ear has improved has given me horrific anxiety, I feel like something horrific is about to happen. I have had nightmares, shivers, appetite changes & constipation. Further I have a tingling and a heavy sensation in my legs. I am not finishing the course as the anxiety caused by them is too much.

Anonymous | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
2/17/2021
Condition: Lyme Disease

Took this medication for almost 2 years. 500mg twice a day. I have Bartonella, Babesiosis and Lyme. Didnt notice side effects because of all of my side effects from being sick and taking a lot of medications already. Helped a lot. I was able to start eating better. Controlled the bacteria growth. Im also on 2 other antibiotics.

Liollipop | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/15/2021
Hans Castorp | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/8/2021
Condition: Acute Infection of the Nose, Throat or Sinus

The first time I took this antibiotic as it was prescribed by a specialist as treatment of throat and nose infection. In short - 7 days of misery. It did alleviate the symptoms but to be honest I think it would've been the same if I had just left my body cope with the infection. The difference, however, was that the drug had some terrible side effects - serious fatigue, moments of anxiety and bad insomnia. I got a tongue thrush on top of everything! The benefits of this antibiotic were largely overshadowed by the trouble it caused. It's individual but I personally would never take it again. Read More Read Less

Danielle | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/20/2020
Condition: Acute Bacterial Infection of the Sinuses

First day, my sinusitis symptoms were gone but replaced with diarrhea and metallic taste. Second day, metallic taste, headaches, anxiety and insomnia. This continued to night terrors the next day. Never again will I try this drug. I cant even bring myself to finish the box.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/11/2020
Condition: infection caused by bacteria

I have been on this drug for 2 days. Main issues are tiredness during the day, insomnia at night. Also dry mouth with bitter taste, but this doesn't last long. To avoid the digestion issues experienced by others, I take various probiotics and prebiotics (e.g. sauerkraut, yogurt), and it has worked well.

Alie | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/1/2020
Condition: Bronchitis caused by the Bacteria Haemophilus Influenzae

Worst experience & pain of my life. I would like to first start off with stating that I have a high pain tolerance and Clarityromycin just about did me in. I was prescribed 500mg 2x a day for 9 days for bronchitis (not quite sure why I was even prescribed anything for bronchitis to begin with). Every day was a new symptom. Day 1: I felt tired and had a strong metallic taste in my mouth. Day 2: I felt deathly tired, had the strong metallic taste in my mouth, extreme anxiety, nausea, and a fast heart beat. On Day 3: Most of my symptoms from day 2 continued but just intesified. Day 4: Same as day 3 but extreme diarrhea. The evening of Day 4 is when the medication did me in. I woke up in the middle of the night with the most sever pain I have ever felt in my entire life in my upper right abdomen. The nausea and extreme pain that I was experiencing was enough for me to go to the ER. At this point I didn't even think the pain was associated with the Clarithromycin because it was so severe; after running blood work, a CT Scan, and an ultrasound my doctor thought it was the beginning of a appendicitis. After waiting 24/hours to see if the pain would develop into a appendicitis the pain started to die down to about a 4-5. Still experiencing pain the following day I went back to check my blood levels again and urine, once again everything came back perfect again. At that time my doctor assured that Clarithromycin was the culprit of my pain. It's been several days since my major episode (note I stopped taking the antibiotic the night of the emergency room), and I'm still experiencing dull pain in my lower right abdomen. I was also prescribed anti-neasuea medication to help with recovery. I will NEVER again take this medication, also please note that you may be sensitive to Macrolide antibiotics as Claryithromycin is a derived from Macrolides. Please educate yourself, just because the doctor prescribes you something, doesn't mean it's a good fit for you individually. Read More Read Less

1/30/2020
Condition: Strep Throat

Had sore throat and Clarithromycin 500mg marketed as Clarwin was prescribed. Though pain on my throat subsided, I developed a dry mouth, followed by diarrhoea.

Nanann | 75 or over | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/18/2019
Condition: Peptic Ulcer due to Bacteria Helicobacter Pylori

Have an unpleasent taste in mouth a few hours after eating and I have a very red tongue and Throat since starting this medication for a week have to take for another week Am also on Amocylin

Linnet | 19-24 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/23/2019
Condition: Bacterial Infection with Bronchitis

I have really gone through the worst experience with this drug. The nausea!! Doesn't stop for a single minute of the day. I've thrown up at least 5 times in the last 24 hours. I have chest pains, a heartburn, a sour taste in my mouth, tiredness and all this time doesn't seem to cure what it was administered for. I will never take this drug again

Anonymous patient | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/21/2019
Condition: infection caused by bacteria

I had a adverse reaction to this medication. My heart and blood pressure sky rocketed. After taking one pill, my husband had to call 911. A doctor in the ER Confirmed that this medicine can increase your heart rate. After visiting my GI doctor, he told me to never take that or Flagyl because they are very hard on your stomach. Now, I am liery about taking any medication due to not knowing how my body will react to it.

Georgette | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/3/2019
Condition: Acute Infection of the Nose, Throat or Sinus

Taking for dinus infevtion which I know is chlamydia! Chronic lyme disease patient which no doctor will treat... So I complained of sinus infection which it does cause..it is a cell penetrating antibiotic which is agood thing! Those of you suffering eith diarrhea especially after finished eith dose are now growing candidia and need a Candida probiotic to fix your gut!

Limpet | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/10/2018
Condition: Acute Bacterial Infection of the Sinuses

I took this for a bacterial sinus infection. I felt better after 2 doses, but after the 3rd I had terrible taste, sick-up, nausea tiredness and achey limbs. At one point I nearly passed out and lay on the bathroom floor trying not to vomit. I had to work the next day so it wasnâ??t practical for me to carry on taking them. Also I read the side effects and didnâ??t fancy having ongoing stomach problems. I havenâ??t taken one for 36 hours and Iâ??m feeling much better although not 100% recovered (side effects went by lunchtime, symptoms still here). I will go back to docs for a different med.Read More Read Less

Molo | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/24/2018
Condition: Skin Infection

At first I got a full blown experience of side effects; not at all nice. However. I found that drinking goat milk kefir two hours before the morning dose and two hours after the evening dose kept the side effects at bay. I also ate breakfast before the morning tablet and a light meal before the evening tablet. Goat milk kefir is a very successful probiotic. The kefir sold in the supermakets ia horrible but you can buy the goat milk on line and that is lovely

7/22/2018
Condition: Pneumonia caused by Bacteria

This stuff is just awful. Horrible taste, nausea and diarrhea! And the best of all, it hasnâ??t helped. I spiked a huge fever almost immediately after starting the prescription. Of course I didnâ??t read the side effects first so now the nervousness of blistering skin, liver problems or death got my mind racing.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/19/2018
Condition: Acute Infection of the Nose, Throat or Sinus

I have been taking this medication for 7 days now.I had slight diarrhea at first but that seems to have gone. My biggest issues with this medication is that it has affected my taste, nothing tastes good to me right now. No insomnia or other side effects at this time.

2/14/2018
Condition: Bacterial Pneumonia caused by Haemophilus Influenzae

This medication has to be taken with food. My very first dose I threw up because I neglected the pharmacists advice. It is very hard on the stomach. Leaves a horrible cotton mouth with a very bad medicine taste. Could feel the effects within 24hrs.

Dstan | 25-34 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/28/2018
Condition: Bacterial Infection with Bronchitis

Don't get me wrong the drug works...but the side effects have been terrible. The side effects have included nausea, diarrhea, constant stomach gurgling and gas. I've also experienced tiredness and a rather prominent metallic taste in my mouth that nothing will take away. I've never had side effects like this from a drug and thats how I found this forum. I was kind if scared this was abnormal.