Used mercaptopurine for 3 years. Best 3 years of the last awful 27 years I have had. However, I am now going through chemo for non hodgekins lymphoma, a side effect of mercaptopurine. Wish I had not taken the drug now.

I am on this drug for a flareup that occurred this summer. However I will be requesting that my doctor take me off it, as the side effects are too serious for me to be comfortable with. We would also like to have children in the next few years. I would encourage anyone with IBD issues to research and seriously consider the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I started it a few months ago and feel grea...

sjk$$ | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/1/2020
Condition: Crohn's Disease

Started taking it 20 yrs. ago after 3 bowel resections for Crohn's. It has worked great without the side effects that prednisone caused.

Not Happy | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/7/2017
Condition: Crohn's Disease

the mercaptopurine is not a med that agrees with my system. When I take it I'm in the bathroom more, so I am not pleased with this medication.

sharal | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
8/14/2017
Condition: Inflammatory Bowel Disease

After years of prednisone, asacol, and other standard drugs, doc put me on this. I have been on it for 7 years with no ill effects. Yes - you have to adjust (little to no alcohol consumption, routine bloodwork) but this is nothing compared to the quality of life I had without it. I can travel, I can work, I don't always have to know where the nearest bathroom is...And, no ill effect on bone density. It is not for women who risk or want to get pregnant.

Anonymous | 55-64 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
3/17/2017
Condition: Ulcerated Colon

Was on it for 7 months. after 5, I was doing a bit better but the joint pain was so horrible I couldn't stand it. Was on Asacol with it. backed off asacol, and back in full flare. Now in month 7 6mp and asacol aren't working. cort enemas do help, and are much less abusive to your system.

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/22/2016
Condition: Ulcerated Colon

After two months of use my kidneys failed. I spent two weeks in the hospital. Five years later my kidneys are back to 100 percent. I deal with the occasional flareup with out using drugs.

JJM | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/20/2016
Condition: Crohn's Disease

been on this med for 3 months now and have not seen any changes...only some weight gain

JJM | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/20/2016
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I have had crohn's for the past 7year. I am on 1 1/2 daily tablet mercaptopurine for 2 months..the only change is that I am gaining wheight

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
7/9/2015
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000 and have taken several different types of drugs over the years for this condition. In 2006 I was put on Remicade and it worked wonders and put me in remission, but I had to stop the infusions in 2009 so that I could have a bowel resection surgery. Once stopped, you cannot start it again due to a high chance of an allergic reaction. So my GI put me on 6MP. I was on 150mg a day at first, but now I am down to 75mg a day. I am still in remission and have basically had no bad side effects from this medication. Read More Read Less

Lou | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/15/2015
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I am a 66 year old woman and I have had 7 bowel resections since age 16 , I loved Remacade but can't take it anymore because I stopped it when I felt better (you can't do that)6MP makes me depressed and tired .

band mom | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/23/2015
Condition: Crohn's Disease

after 2 weeks of use, started having choking sensation in chest & throat. pain in chest,breast area. muscle cramps & weakness, but the crohns got better. not sure if I should keep taking it

Anonymous | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/27/2015
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I am a 68 year old male who has been on this med for approximately 25 years. No noticeable side effects and it's like I never had Crohns.

greenlight | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/25/2014
Condition: Ulcerated Colon

I was diagnosed with UC in 92. I was on Asacol since then. 2 years ago it was less effective and started using Prednisone. Had horrible side effects. Couldnt do Daily living functions. Then started 6mp with Asacol. Has me functioning. Tired and needing to drink lots of water daily but I am living and not worrying bout where is the nearest toilet. Now on it for 7months. I am worried but I am living a better quality of life since 1992. I am living the here and now philosophy.

V.A. | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/7/2014
Condition: Crohn's Disease

diagnosed with crohns. I've been on it for over a year along with balsalazide, I also was on Prednisone twice, and tapered off. Pros: reduction in urgency, and I went from stooling 30/40 times a day down to 6 to 12, and sometimes less. worst in the early mornings, tho I have no hair loss, I am sore a lot, week a lot, and tired a lot. as well, I get massive body cramps... not sure if all these side effects are caused by mp6 but i have to take it... as you may know it lowers your white blood count to control crohns and there for weakening my blood.cons: still have soft stools, Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/1/2014
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I was diagnosed with Crohn's 3 month's ago & was put on Prednisone 5mg & Mercaptopurine 6-mp 50mg.Off the Prednisone & my Doctor increased the Mercaptopurine from one tablet to 1 1/2 a day, but I now have an increase in weight gain & at times due to the medication the joints in my fingers lock. Have anyone notice weight gain due to the Mercaptopurine mp6?

6mp | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/21/2013
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I have been taking 6mp for 13 years and it has kept out of the hospital and in remission most of the time. Even when flare-ups occur, I still take it faithfully.

Irishgal777 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/10/2013
Condition: Crohn's Disease

Have Crohn's for over 50 years, since I was little. Been on them all. Have been on 6MP on and off for years. It has put me into remission at times. No side effects but long term use can cause lymphoma in a very rare amount of people and yes it does suppress your immune system, better than prednisone which I will never take again! Also on endicort, no side effects so far. I don't agree with infusions, long term, I know people with luekemia they got from years of infusions. No one knows long term problems on these infusions. Stick with the meds no matter how great you feel now, because down the road you have no idea what these will do to your body.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/11/2013
Condition: Type of Leukemia - Acute Myeloid Leukemia

Effective Treatment.

DJmond | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
4/6/2013

I am taking this medication to replace prednisone for treating autoimmune hepatites. I take allopuurinol with it under direction of a gastroenterologist. I am tied all the time, my hand and leg bones, have chills and hot spells.

shirlwood | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/11/2013
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I get nauseous. Is this a side effect?

jr24gordon | 55-64 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
1/11/2013
Condition: Crohn's Disease

I have had Crohn's for 32 yrs. I have had all but 9 ft. of small bowel removed and all but 1/2 of my lrg. removed. I was of the prednisone, asulfa pill, and did a few Remicade infusions. Nothing I have been in remisson for 7 yrs. and on the Purenthol name brand the whole time. It has worked for me!!!! I have had no problems except the fatigue and a little hair loss. I am now on the 6-mp due to the fact the manufacturer has stopped making the name brand. Praying things stay in remisson. Prayers to all!!Read More Read Less