I had clear skin my entire life until I hit the age of 21. Suddenly I had horrible acne all over my cheeks, jawline and around the sides of my mouth (at all times, not just during period). It was so bad that I rarely left my room, and I wouldn't even let my boyfriend see me unless the lighting in the room was extremely dim. Suddenly, I stopped hanging out with friends and couldn't even bare going...

clean kidneys

ImogenHeap | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/11/2021

I believe every woman who's suffering from hormonal acne should definitely give this a try. It's cheap, easy to use and best of all it works. After my teenage years my acne never went away. Antibiotics and retinin A were both expensive and it didn't solve my issue. I wanted something that prevent breakouts. I tried a few birth controls but it didn't make a difference. In August 2020 I had another dematologist appt and was researching treatments and I came across "spironolactone". I have never heard of it before then but boy was I ever glad to. It was exactly what I was looking for. Spironolactone lowers testosterone which spikes in women a week before having a period which give us that acne flares. I started off 25 mg twice daily for 6 weeks and then 50 mg for another 6 weeks. I saw no change in 25 mg and in 50mg I saw a slight improvement. I've been on 100mg for 8 months now and my skin looks better than it has in a long time. I still get the occasional zit but I chalk that up to maskne and it's so minisculue than what I had before. I also noticed my leg hair is slower to grow, a bonus for me. Before I would shave every other day now it's once a week. My mood has change for the better too. I feel less irritable and moody now. My only con is that I need to pee more often. If you're new on spironolactone just know it might take a few months before you get results you want with some purging in every increase in dose. Just stick it out you'll thank yourself later. I know I did.

Anonymous | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months |
4/12/2021

I am 22 years old and have had cystic acne on my chin area for the past 10 years. After trying many topical/over the counter treatments with no resolve, I was finally consulted to a dermatologist. She started me on Spironolactone 50mg twice a day. Before this pill I would have 2-6 very inflamed white heads on my chin area and 1-2 cysts under the skin at all times. I started taking Spironolactone in November 2020. During the first 2 months I had a "purging" phase, but at the 2 month mark, my skin had started to clear up significantly. From then on, I have had very little breakouts, maybe 3-4 white heads in a months period (which I partly blamed on wearing a mask), and no cysts. March 2021 I asked my derm if I could bump up my dose to see if I could achieve 100% clear skin. After a month of taking 100mg in the morning and 50mg at bedtime, my skin is the clearest it has ever been. I still get the occasional tiny white head (which I again blame on my job/mask) which goes away quickly with the use of hydrocolloid acne patches! This medication is mainly prescribed to treat high blood pressure, so some people may feel dizzy or light headed when taking it, and might have to pee more, I personally never noticed these side effects. This is also not a fast solution to acne, it can take months to get to clear skin. For me, it has taken approx 6 months to get to this point.

momof2dogs | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/5/2021

Started taking this for pcos facial acne. It helped but my actual hair on my head started falling out. It made my facial acne turn blonde a light color. Not worth losing my actual hair over it was thinking BAD & QUICK!!

renee | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/11/2021

Taking Spiro for about 3 weeks now for Facial cystic acne. I have noticed my face is no longer dropping in oil and the acne is clearing up. Also, I have lost about 8 lbs and have little to no appetite. but i feel fine.

DM | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
2/27/2021

**** Migraines - acne - hair loss - swelling**** I have suffered from migraines since the 2nd grade. I've tried nearly everything since then. The last 5 years the migraines were extremely bad, 3-4 a week. My family doctor tried to help to no avail and sent me to the specialist. Although they helped with meds for the pain, as for the prevention pills nothing worked. I also had acne, hair loss, and I never sweat. I finally went to a dermatologist for my skin and hair loss. She gave me spironolactone 50mg 2x a day and told me to use minoxidil. A year and half later... my hair is so much thicker, looks so much better, my acne is gone but the greatest thing I didn't expect are my migraines have decreased so much. In fact I just went 30 days without one migraine. I've also noticed that I don't get all swollen anymore from not sweating too! This medication has helped me a lot, I'm concerned with how long I should take it though.