I can not tolerate statins.The dr just started me on this drug. Been taking it for 2 months now and it's working for me. My LDL went from 163 to 123 so far. I take 2 fish oil for the triglycerides and that brought that down from 300 to 100, so that combination is working for me. I don't have any side effects so far and I'm very very sensitive to drugs. Hardly can take anything because of a sensiti...

Smith | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/31/2021
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I have been using the Zetia generic for four months. My cholesterol and triglyceride numbers improved and are the best in years. I cannot tolerate statins. I am now experiencing muscle weakness dizziness diarrhea nausea and fatigue. Last night I had a significant breathing problem although that is not listed as a side effect. I plan to stop taking it.

Phyllis | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
10/28/2021
Condition: High Cholesterol

No tolerance for statins, so...one month on 5 mg of Zetia daily had brought cholesterol down to 167, from 234 but the side effects are overwhelming. Joint/muscle pain/cramping has cut my activity level WAY down; either stuffy or continuous runny nose and dry hacking cough; fatigue, constant chills. Have felt like crap entire time. Can't say I'd recommend the drug and will most likely quit taking it.

Abster | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/13/2021
Condition: Homozygous Inherited High Blood Cholesterol

I’ve taken Zetia for 1 year (with a statin) for FH. LDL plummeted. I thought EXCELLENT! Dr suggested COQ10 for new muscle & back pain. This was tolerable. I recently began process to be a kidney donor and failed the first round of testing. My liver enzymes were 3x normal and my kidney output is insufficient. I researched, this is a rare side effect. Dr confirmed not typically seen, I stopped Zetia 6/11/21. Back pain has 100% diminished. Blood work again in two weeks. I will be going to a Lipid specialist next. Read More Read Less

Jazzi | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/12/2021
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

Very effective bu PAIN in every joint, extremity, soft tissue of my entire body. I literally cannot move without assistance. I was very active before and am now almost unable to get out of my home....I have decided to stop taking it for a week or two and see if the pain diminishes. If so, I will contact Dr. for what to do next. I cannot live like this as I have genetically high triglycerides.

Laury | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/4/2021
Condition: High Cholesterol

I have very high cholesterol-- over 400 when I was only 35 and weighed 110 pounds. Barely controlled for years on statins. I'm now 60. When my new doctor doubled my statin and saw no change in lipid levels, he prescribed Zetia in addition to the statin. I've been taking this drug 3 months now and my total cholesterol dropped 50 points. I've never been in the "normal" range before! I've experienced no side effects.

Cheriberry | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/13/2021
Condition: High Cholesterol

After taking zetia for 6 weeks, severe joint pain in knees which were both replaced in 2012/2013.

Sharonpyb79n | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/21/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

I have been on zetia for one week and during that time I have experienced the most severe stomach pains with diarrhea and vomiting. The reason I changed med was the statins were damaging my legs and had quite severe pain. I am at a place where I can't?t tolerate either.

Robinhood | 55-64 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/9/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

After about 6 months or so of taking this drug (ezetimibe) I started experiencing constipation and brain fog. For past 4 months this has become serious depression, brain fog, memory loss, loss of appetite, constipation (leading to fissures), anxiety. I am 56, with low cholesterol and otherwise a healthy male, healthy diet, exercise, I feel I am in a mid-life crisis. Never in my life have I ever felt like this. It's effecting my entire self. After much online research I've uncovered that this drug is known to cause all of these side effects. After reading other comments on here, I now know this to be the root cause of all of these issues. I won't be taking this drug any longer. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. This was very helpful.Read More Read Less

None | 75 or over | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/22/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

Within three days had extreme muscle spasms, the same response I got from two statins, very painful

Scarface 1970 | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/4/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

Statins dont like me so I started Zetia and (Niacin B3 the kind that flushes) and after 3 months my Cholesterol went from 282 down to 143 LDL was 215 down to 85 HDL 46 down to 38 Triglycerides from 103 down to 100. It works for me with very little side effects.

jc | 75 or over | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/11/2020
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I have been on all the statin drugs and they caused severe muscle weakness and brain fog. My Dr. put me on Zetia and my cholesterol is almost back to normal and my triglyceride level came down to just above normal and that is the first those numbers have decreased ever. I have been on Zetia for 2 years now and don't seem to have any side effects. I am 76 years old.

Pif | 65-74 | Female | Patient
4/14/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

I cannot take statins and my cholesterol is hereditary. My doctor the last several visits suggested I take zetia. 8 days into zetia my middle toe swelled up and got all red and my left leg hurts so bad I almost had to go to the emergency room I couldn't stand it. I took myself off the drug and slowly the redness and swelling in my toe subsided and my leg pain stopped however I lost the nail on my middle toe after this incident.

tunro | 65-74 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
9/16/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

I have been on zetia for years. I do not get muscle cramps or weakness but I am concerned about it affecting stomach or bowel. Of course people do not admit adverse side effects of a drug but I am convinced it can hurt you in the long run.

BSV. | 65-74 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
9/10/2019
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I am a nurse. This was like poison, stomach, weakness,flu like bad leg calves and thigh pains then muscle weakness in lower extremities, fell once. I tried taking half, still my body could not function. I told my MD, I simply had to stop after 6 months. I really question what this does to your heart muscle long term.

linda | 65-74 | Female | Patient
9/9/2019
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I have been having leg, sciatica symptoms, headaches( which I have never had) can barely get out of bed,low back ache hard walking. I was allergic to all statins and it seems after reading these reviews the Zetia is doing the same to me. I am quitting the drug. I ended up in urgent care and no one seems to know why I am having these symptoms. Had MRI's ect . It has to be the Zetia,

Omafietzen | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/7/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

Dr. prescribed Zetia (ezetimibe) after 15 years of muscle cramps and pain from Lipitor, then Simvastatin, then Prevastatin. The side effects from Zetia were far worse than from the others. In 30 days I developed muscle weakness, started stumbling, had loss of balance. In addition to these symptoms, by 90 days I started with the brain fog and memory loss, and I couldn't do stairs anymore, I couldn't even get myself up from a chair and the extreme fatigue was horrible, I wanted to stay in bed all day. It was so much so that I was put on probation at work because my work performance suffered. I couldn't even hold my grand babies! I'm only 59!Dr. told me to take CoQ10. It only helped reduce the pain and cramping a little, not the weakness. I felt like I was 90! My adult children couldn't believe the change in me in 3 months time. I stopped the Zetia. In one month the muscle pain is almost gone, the brain fog gone, the weakness in my hamstrings and muscles in my arms is lessening. I still have "flares" if I over-exert myself or experience a lot of stress from the myositis. I'm taking a more natural route now with diet and lifestyle change and fish oil, CoQ10, B-Complex, and Vit. C. I am feeling better, and am gradually retaining the use of my legs and arms. It was the brain fog and memory loss that really scared me and prompted me to stop. It also barely lowered my cholesterol, and it increased my blood sugar levels. This medication is HORRIBLE AND LIFE DEPLEATING! Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/24/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

Iam 73 with colesterol of 289. I cannot tolerate statins and believe me, I tried them all. I was prescribed zetia and the headaches started right away. Then I got severe eye pain every time I moved my right eye up. Then nausea, leg, hip and foot pain. My arthritic hands hurt horribly. Then all over body pain. Then I developed upper right abdominal pain, stomache pain and I got very bloated, and my temperature started fluxuating. I was tired and so sore I couldn't walk well. I talked to the pharmacist who suggested I stop taking zetia. That all happened in only 2 weeks on that medicine. So all you guys aren't crazy. Me too!Read More Read Less

bomashisha | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/3/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

Horrible back and leg pain; also it appears my lymphedema in my left arm has gotten worse. Yesterday was the last day I took Zetia. I've taken several other statin drugs and they all caused bad leg pain. It's why the doctor suggested Zetia. My back and leg pain is worse than ever. MRI shows slight arthritis. I recently lost 40 pounds and was hoping this would fix my cholesterol problem, but it didn't. I am 69 years old and feel like I'm 90. I absolutely hate statins and Zetia. No more. I have to find an alternate treatment.Read More Read Less

Gary | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/28/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

Husband has been on Zetia for 5 days. Is stopping today. Heâ??s experienced sleepwalking twice that I am aware of thatâ??s not listed on the side effects but that he found listed on the FDA site for Zetia. Yesterday he experienced extreme dizziness to the point of unstable walking and then vomiting. No fever or other issues that would constitute anything viral causing the nausea.

Amanda A. | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
3/17/2019
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

Before I started taking Zetia, my cholesterol was at 296. I did not want to be put on a statin as my father has had large side effects from them and can no longer take them. Within 2 months of starting Zetia, my cholesterol had already dropped to 213, and my triglycerides had decreased as well. I have had absolutely no side effects from this drug. It has also helped my father, and he has suffered no side effects as well.