23yr old female I have had severe and horrible acne since I was in 4th grade! My 4th grade teacher even sent me to the nurses office for chicken pox. How emberassing! Iam almost 24 now. I just started accutane 4 months ago. I read on here that a lot of people were really bothered by the side effects. The first month was the worst, super dry skin & super dry lips. But for me having acne my whole...

I had adult cystic acne, mostly around my mouth. I hadn't had much acne in high school because after one low point in my life- I had permantly put myself on tetra-cycline, after a break out. I thought if I stayed on it, I would never get a zit. For ten years this worked until I got adult cycstic acne and thought to switch anti-biotics. I figured that I had built an immunity towards tetra-cycli...

CES | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/25/2021
Condition: Severe Difficult to Treat Nodular Acne

After suffering with cystic acne for 12 years I finally took accutane. It is the best decision I have ever made. My face is no longer in pain, and my confidence has had a massive boost! I had a few minor side effects like temporary achy joints/bones and stiff muscles, and of course dry lips, but they were 100% worth it! My only regret is not taking it sooner.

Sar1 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/22/2021
Condition: Severe Difficult to Treat Nodular Acne

I suffered with adult acne for the last 3 years. I had a mixture of cystic acne , blackheads and Papule spots. Antibiotics was the first medication to be given to me, the antibiotics were a complete waste of time my acne still remained present ! The areas where I suffered with acne was the sides of my face , jawline and forehead. Having acne completely knocked my confidence and at the time the acne was so bad that the spots were painful to touch. I eventually got an appointment with a dermatologist , I was prescribed 10mg Roaccutane (accutane ) twice a day for the first month, I then progressed onto 20mg twice a day for the next 4 months . The only side affects I suffered were dry skin and dry lips . I actually used (nipple cream ) for my lips as I found it worked best. Apart from that I got on fantastic with accutane , it actually made me feel great as I was happy to see my skin clear up month by month ! .. Everybody is different and will experience different side affects but for me accutane has been a miracle for my skin and I am so happy that it worked . Therefore it gets a thumbs up for me. Thank you Accutane as I have very clear skin and my confidence back .

Gretchen Cammiso | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/2/2021
Condition: Severe Difficult to Treat Nodular Acne

I was 36, had battled sever acne intermittently for 2 decades. I had had SEVERELY oily skin my whole life. Finally I tried Accutane! ???? BEST decision I ever made. While the monthly blood tests were annoying, it was beyond worth it. My skin began to clear up almost immediately & my pores shrank & my oil production regulated. I experienced minimal to no excessive dryness & 7 years later, I have had maybe 1 hormonal zit. Life changing!

Anonymous | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/2/2021
Condition: Severe Difficult to Treat Nodular Acne

I started taking Accutane shortly before turning 24. I had severe cystic acne throughout my back for a while which did not respond well to other treatment, and thus is why I started taking Accutane. For some time after starting the medication, I only had minor side effects, such as dry lips. Then, I started to experience symptoms of depression, such as feelings of worthlessness and thoughts of suicide. I never had any symptoms of depression prior to taking the medication. It has been around two years after stopping the medication, and I am still struggling almost daily with depression. I have tried months of therapy and while it was helpful, it definitely was not enough. I am now considering taking anti depressant medication. Please do a lot of research before you take this medication. Other people here have also reported developing depression. Nothing is worth risking your mental health, even if you have severe acne like I did. Please consider other options. I strongly recommend not taking this medication.

Chimbo | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/12/2021
Condition: Severe Difficult to Treat Nodular Acne

I had severe cystic and nodular acne in my chin area. Antibiotics didn’t help. This drug was a miracle. It started working immediately. Never saw results so fast. Took it for 5 months. 80mg a day and than 120 mg the last month. I had a few side effects. Nothing to serious. Dry lips dry skin and photo sensitivity were my side effects. Nothing I couldn’t handle. I prety much lived on chapstick, lotion and sunscreen. But it was %100 percent worth it. If you are dealing with severe acne I highly recommend this drug! It changed my life! If it doesn’t work for you, you can always stop taking it! But it’s %100 worth trying. I put it off for years because I was scared of the side effects. But I finally had enough and tried it, the side effects for me ere minimal. This drug is a lifesaver