After multiple courses of antibiotic treatments, and a suggestion that I go on acutane, I found a wonderful dermatologist who prescribed aldactone for my hormonal acne. He explained that the drug binds to the receptors on my oil glands, blocking the hormones from binding there and activating them. My skin has been clear for several years now. It's been necessary to increase the dosage over time, b...

I am writing this for my girlfriend of 10 years who started taking this drug about 3 weeks ago. Over the last four days her behavior has become nothing short of psychotic. She has attacked me physically, she is convinced I am having multiple affairs and she cries hysterically. And she completely denies that this drug has anything to do with her behavior change. What the heck should I do?

hubcap | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/7/2020
Condition: Accumulation of Fluid Resulting from Chronic Heart Failure

I'm 84 and have been taking this for 3 years for heart problem with water retention and after 2 /1/2 years I started growing breasts and 6 months ago they started to get tender, notified my cardiologist and he took me off it and told me to check my BP for a week and get back. BP was good and now I'm not taking it any more.

rasul sp | 35-44 | Male | Patient
4/16/2018
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I have been taking this medication for about 6 months now.it has been very good on my hbp.however I start to notice fatty tissue in my chest so I went to the dr. and he got a xray and its gynecomastia other than that an a little potassium spike I believe for me the benefit outweighs the harm

LMason | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/17/2017

I took this medication for 3 years to treat adult acne. It was wonderful. My face cleared up and I had no issues with acne. I also was taking birth control pills with this medication and when I stopped taking the birth control I noticed I had periods every 2 weeks. This was one of the side effects of the spironolactone. I have stopped taking the spironolactone and my face is breaking out again but period seems to be on the right track again.

kalsik | 65-74 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/10/2017
Condition: Accumulation of Fluid caused by Cirrhosis of the Liver

I was diagnosed with hepatic cancer which was treated with radio ablation, but as a one of side effect developed severe edema went up to my scrotum and abdomen. edema was treated with Lasix and spironolactone, worked well, but one of side effect gynecomastia ( male breast enlargement)with tenderness. because of that medication was changed to Eplerenone, which I found out has the same side effect, and did not worked for me at all. I am giving second thought to go back to aldosterone despite the side effect. going to call to my doctor If I can go back on it.

Anonymous | 65-74 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
3/11/2017
Condition: Accumulation of Fluid Resulting from Chronic Heart Failure

My Cardiologist put me on 25 mg of Aldactone in 8/16 for edema caused from congestive heart failure, and then increased it to 50 mg a month later. This medication ended up screwing me up terribly, and because my doctor was punching a time clock (10 minutes and out the door to the next patient), he didn't have the time to recognize the terrible side effects I was having. My health was deteriorating so rapidly with weakness so bad that I could not function at all. This is a potassium-sparing drug and must be carefully monitored for high potassium levels that can be life-threatening. Not only did my doctor say anything about this, but never even mentioned needing to have frequent potassium levels done. I am the one who finally figured out what was causing the deterioration of my health -- the Aldactone. I got to another doctor immediately and was taken off this Aldactone. Actually, my new doctor does not even know why this other cardiologist put me on the Aldactone, as I was already on one of the most widely prescribed diuretics for edema from CHF -- 80 mg. of Lasix a day and had been for years. My new doctor spent 1 hr. 45 min. with me on 2/10/17 explaining to me what this other cardiologist should have done. It is wonderful to know that doctors are more interested in profits and rewards than the health and well-being of their patients. They take an oath "to do no harm," and the harm this medication has done to me, I will be a long, long time coming out of.