My first experience with D.H.E. 45 was in an E.R. in about 1986... I have gotten migraine since 1963. The protocol was Compazine I.V. first and 15 minutes later, the D.H.E.45, I.V. It was the first time in my life that I walked into an E.R. with a migraine, and walked out without it. My M.D. and my neurologist BOTH! wrote me perscriptions for the vials, so I could give myself the shot. ...

D.H.E-45 | Female | Patient
7/8/2021
Condition: Migraine Headache

My back story is I’ve been having a migraine since March 2021 and it hasn’t went away. I’ve been to see 2 doc & now a neurologist. First med they gave me to break this cycle caused me to have a seizure in my sleep. I just did the IV infusion DHE-45 yesterday and when I left I felt good. Woke up this morning and my headache is back. I go to sleep with a headache & wake up with a headache. Over the day the headache gets worse. So it didn’t work for me. I’m so depressed from these headaches and don’t know what are my next options are.

Anonymous | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/11/2015
GloriaPuppy | 13-18 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/13/2015
Condition: Migraine Headache

I have had constant migraines for six years and am never without headache pain. My neurologist suggested trying this and my family decided to give it a try. I am age 14, and this made my migraines worse not better. They also performed a lumbar puncture while I was in the hospital. It was negative and I am still in a lot of pain. My neurologist is out of ideas and seems to think it is all in my head just because the treatment didn't work. I am very frustrated and am going to switch neurologists again. I have been researching why it might not have worked, and found that DHE isn't effective in people with hemiplegic and basilar migraines. I seem to have all the symptoms of hemiplegic migraines, so I am going to bring this to my new neurologist's attention. The side effects were bad with this drug, but barely tolerable. It is recommended for cluster headaches, so if you suffer from these, I would consider trying DHE.

Honeygal1 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
1/26/2015
Condition: Migraine Headache

DHE infusion makes my daughter's migraines WORSE! We tried it at her neurologist's office last summer, after high school ended, when she was 15. Hurt more (flared the pain), never helped, even days later. Then, in desperation in the midst of a 2 month massive migraine, we agreed to try a few days of DHE (and we assumed other) infusions in the hospital. They were supposed to do 1/4 dose treatments of DHE instead of 1/2 dose (but moved up to 1/2 dose without telling us on the 4th treatment). And they were concerned about Medication Overuse Headache, so they wouldn't give her pain medicine either. The hospital wanted to try five 1/2 doses to be sure it didn't work. IT DIDN'T WORK! More wasn't better. They didn't have other things to try. Daughter was completely miserable and suffering. For you to know: DHE doesn't work for everyone. Also, DHE seems to mess with IVs, so the IVs need to be moved after a few infusions. The hospital visit was a completely terrible experience which our daughter will probably never fully get over.

howsle | 25-34 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/3/2013
Condition: Migraine Headache

This medication is administered, usually inpatient, every 8 hrs for 2 to 5 days. It will cause GI upset in most individuals. For that reason, Reglan (metoclapromide) is administered. Reglan has been known to cause agitation and restlessness in some people. I found the regimen to reduce the intensity of my chronic migraine reliably.