I have suffered from depression for 26 years, and all the Drs said the same thing, depression. I have tried every single "antidepressant" drug with no relief, yet suffered all of the side effects, I was finally tierd of SSRI's and a horribile life. I went to a Pshychiatrist and was finally given a correct medication for bipolar, I was first put on Limictal, but developed a rash on my hands, now I ...

it's ok i've been on this medication for awhile now i have serious irritability and weight gain

Sabrina | 19-24 | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
8/13/2017
Condition: Manic-Depression

Lithium gets a bad rap but for me it has worked well. I have tried every antidepressant under the sun to no avail. When I started taking lithium instead I realized that not only did my depression become much more manageable, but I wasn't so irritated and aggressive anymore. I have Trichotillomania too and because Lithium has antianxiety properties too, I stopped pulling y hair completely after having been mostly bald for the 5 years prior. That said there are some significant drawbacks; I do feel sedated a lot of the time. If for whatever reason I stop taking lithium (whether I am aware that I missed a dose or not) I end up in tears the next day, panic-y and much more agitated than normal. I also get very jittery if I stop taking it long enough. I'm talking about cold turkey though, not about decreasing the dose in increments. Dry skin and mouth but it's not sever for me. I hope to someday not have to take it, but it has been effective for me more than any other medication when I take it correctly.

James P. | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more |
3/14/2017
Condition: Mania associated with Bipolar Disorder

When I first started taking Lithium it brought me out of the psychosis that I was in. Lithium stabilized my bipolar illness to the point in which I was able to graduate from college. However, ten years after I began taking it I developed hypothyroidism. This has been causing ne a lot of problems. A few years later I developed kidney disease from taking Lithium. Throughout the years the prescribers who I saw failed to mention that Lithium could cause me to develop both of those diseases. I've been off Lithium for four years. Unfortunately the damage it's done to my thyroid and kidneys is permanent. Don't get me wrong Lithium is a good medication, especially in controlling mania. Beware of the risks. Be sure to ask your provider about possible short and long term side effects.

Bach | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/12/2014

While this medicine for mood swings and symptom-of other -meds antiside effect reasons was better than no meds at all, lithobid alleviated less mildly for me than any medicine like stelazine or even norpramine. While stelazine caused me to feel sleepy, so does lithobid, which causes me serious weight gain.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
8/10/2012
Condition: Mania associated with Bipolar Disorder

i havent felt ups or downs..i feel more even and emotionally regulated. thank god for obamaha care coming into play in 2014 until then i will continue to take this life changing medicine...!!!!!!

AddyinNC | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/26/2011
Condition: Additional Medications to Treat Depression

Only downfalls are having to get your bloodwork done, and increased thirst and urination... but for me TOTALLY worth it. I am truly a new person today! The happiest I've been in years! And it worked in only 2 weeks!