45 year old male...BP and cholesterol issues...My fault, not genetic...6'2" 265 pounds...Drug worked great! high-good cholesterol, low-bad cholesterol-average 130's...Wanna know why I stopped taking statins? No.1 reason-never had inflammation anywhere. Right metatarsal portion of my right foot would ache each morning until it was used for about 15 minutes of movement from no injury what so ever....

Roy | 75 or over | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
8/10/2022
Condition: High Cholesterol

Within 3 months of taking prevastatin I found a severe decline in my muscles, but carried on taking for fear of consequences, plus declared it for a health policy and feared of them cancelling

AnnorJ74 | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
5/22/2022
Condition: High Cholesterol

So, after reading several of these comments it has sent my mind to wonder if some of my symptoms are caused by this drug. Muscle pain, fatigue, brain fog, hair loss, and dark urine even though I drink primarily water all day. I have been on this drug since 2019 and I've improved drastically since other than said above.

Bess | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/19/2022
Condition: High Cholesterol

Taking pravastatin 20mg for one year to treat high cholesterol. Works fine for me, numbers are lower, not many side effects...a bit of occasional hip pain.

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/11/2022
Condition: High Cholesterol

I am having severe gastritis, gas, bloating, memory fog, pain in joints and headaches on the left side of my head. I have only been taking this medication for 3 wks but I will not take anymore. I have suffered for this entire week with severe stomach pains. It feels like my insides are bruised.

Lynda | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/6/2022
Condition: High Cholesterol

I started 40 mg of Pravastatin, and within a week, I started feeling really sick. I was having cold like symptoms, along with a dry hacking cough. My doctor said I had a upper respiratory infection.

Dccra1 | 45-54 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/13/2022
Condition: High Amount of Triglyceride in the Blood

It gave me severe muscle pain in thighs walking short distances. Not for me. Hopefully the damage it caused will correct itself.

Beto | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
10/6/2021
Condition: High Amount of Triglyceride in the Blood

After four years I have developed weakness in my arms and legs. My vision has been blurry at times even with my glasses. I have gas after meals. Probably a major contributor to ED. My general practitioner suggested I go off the 20mg pills and see if I improve. I am still taking CO Q 10.

Daisy | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/28/2021
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I just filled my prescription of provachol. I have been on statins before. My NP that prescribed me the first statin said to take CO Q 10 for 2 weeks, and then start my script. She also said that statins are known for muscle soreness, leg cramps, etc. because they pull the water out of your muscles. I did what she said and didn’t have one issue. The only reason I am changing is because it made my liver enzymes shoot up. I am at least going to give this script a chance, but I have already started taking my CO Q enzyme to help with my muscles. Fingers crossed. Read More Read Less

Clawdette | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
9/12/2021
Condition: Stroke Prevention

this medicine changed my life (and not for the better). side effects included: total exhaustion, depression, joint aches, sexual dysfunction, mental fog, difficulty breathing, inability to climb stairs, leg weakness and buckling, etc. I went from being a distance swimmer and cyclist who, even though old, worked out everyday and pursued my profession as an artist to someone who could, literally, not get up from the couch. I spent last Winter just lying on the couch reading because I did not have the energy to do anything else. when I tried to go back to swimming, i found there was so much pressure on my chest that I couldn't get my breath. I felt like my life was over for more than a year! I stopped taking this last week. Yesterday, I began to feel normal for the first time in more than a year. I will NEVER take another statin. I have alot of anger at the medical profession for not listening to patients when they report these side effects.Read More Read Less

Suzan | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
8/7/2021
Condition: High Cholesterol

Genetic high cholesterol. Resisted statin drugs for years and finally gave in to this one. I have been taking it for 2 months and I'm just now figuring out that the 15 lb weight gain in 11 days last month what's most likely due to starting this drug. I am experiencing muscle pain and will be discontinuing this drug. I will get a cholesterol check in a few days to see if it has lowered any but the weight gain and muscle pain is never going to be worth it.

Kim | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/27/2021
Condition: High Cholesterol

I was prescribed Pravastatin as I do not tolerate other statins. I began on 20mg then was put on 40mg. It brought my cholesterol down from the low 300's to 212. I have hereditary high cholesterol. I experienced overwhelming, severe fatigue, bad sinus stuffiness and ear congestion and ear pain, very foggy memory, brain fog and extreme joint stiffness. I am in my 50's and I feel like a 100 year old woman. I would wake up each morning feeling like dead weight and could barely move to get out of bed. Everything hurt. It is not helpful that I have no thyroid. I did a test and took myself off of Pravastatin for 2 weeks. My energy, ear/sinus pain, stiffness and brain fog all improved but my cholesterol went back up fast by about 30+ points. Crazy. I have had horrid reactions to other mainstream cholesterol meds. Livalo being the absolute worst. I almost went to the ER after being on that one for 6 days. I had awful bone and muscle pain and stiffness, felt like my sternum and ribs and chest would break if I moved the wrong way and I kept peeing dozens of times in one night and had severe low back pain. My body was trying to expel Livalo I'm sure.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
1/28/2021
Condition: Changes Involving Fatty Deposits in the Blood Vessels

Halved my plasma cholesterol concentration after 1 year. Unfortunately, I have also lost a LOT of leg and arm muscle mass, but i don't know if this was caused by this drug. I had to stop taking Lipitor due to muscle soreness and muscle loss. I began using statins in 2010 at age 64 and I am now 74.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/1/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

3-4 weeks after taking 10 mg/day of this medication, I developed an itchy rash on my torso and scalp. Not worth it.

MD | 45-54 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/13/2020
Condition: High Cholesterol

After one week I could easily sleep all day. It feels like all of the fluid has been drained from my back and legs. I just literally want to lay down all day and do nothing. I am usually very active but this has taken away any desire for me to workout since it feels like my legs are jello. Not sure what to do since I dont want to die of a heart attack like my family history has. Tough to lose weight since I dont want to hit the gym. Next step is to call my doctor and let her know but I have been on and off a few statins for the same reasons. They all do the same thing to me. Dang genetics. Oh to be healthy again. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/29/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

Terrible drug. Eventually I developed extreme muscle pain, itching skin, intestinal upset skin disruptions. Side effects not worth it. Don't use this class of drug.

Judy | 55-64 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/28/2019
Condition: High Cholesterol

I was prescribed this medicine for high cholesterol. I have been taking it daily for several months now but since starting this medicine, Iâ??ve noticed a significant amount of my hair falling out when I shower, my feet and hands are swelling up and my urine, which used to be almost a clear color, is now a very dark color, and I drink nothing but water all day after my coffee in the morning. I would rather have high cholesterol than be a bald, swelled up smelly old woman ! Iâ??m not going to take anymore of this medicine and I would advise anyone who is prescribed this medication to be very careful and listen to your body! Read More Read Less

Alive | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/14/2018
Condition: High Cholesterol

....damn near killed me and myself from depression. Always healthy...no smoke/drink...ran 3 miles a day...after stain..couldnâ??t walk 3 miles. Suggestion...die of cholesterol!!!

Yattypat | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/5/2018
Condition: Combined High Blood Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level

I do believe this drug is killing me. Was in good health b4 taking it. Declining health ever since. Now have ALS symptoms. BAD BAD BAD drug.

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/26/2018
Condition: High Cholesterol

causing my legs and arms to ache badly. Wake me up at night.

GodHelpMe | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
4/19/2018
Condition: High Cholesterol

Gave me adult rickets, depleted my hormones, my vitamin levels, gave me head tremors, weakened my immune system, have problems with my central nervous system, damaged myelin sheath,muscle atrophy, can't walk normal due to collapse hips due muscle problems and lack of vitamin d levels. Have to have hip surgery, neck surgery. Thirsty all the time. Ruined my life. After going off of this God forsaken drug, I am still having major health issues. Oh, and minor cuts turned into major infections. Had tooth pulled, hair falling out, severe headaches every day. Please do not take this drug. It is a death sentence for many people. It will destroy the quality of your life. If not immediately, in later life after a while, it will cause uncontrollable tremors, and kidney damage. Read More Read Less