Hello, I have been using Synthroid for over ten years and find it the best to use. I have never had my dose increased as I follow the SPECIFIC directions for use. Take it at the same time every day (for me, 5 A.M.!)and on an empty stomach--for one hour. I have found, my morning coffee is fine with no cream, or half and half ; a food. I tried the generic form and it did not have the same affect...

Iwasdiagnosedwithhyperthyroidismin2002withgravesdiseasehadthyroidremovedin2003sincethenIhavegained30poundsmyhairfallsoutallthetimeIamserioulyconstipatedIhavetotakealaxativetohaveabowelmovementnomatterwhatIeatI'mona1200calorieadayIwalkonthetreadmill5daysaweekandstillcantloseanyweightIhavemybloodworkdoneevery6monthsitshowsupfinebutIdontfeelfinealwaystireddepressedIcantseemtodrinkenoughwaterneedtofin...

Anonymous | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
6/5/2021
Condition: Enlarged Thyroid Gland

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. 25 mg of Synthroid. I have now gained 60 pounds. Severely depressed. My option is to increase so I will then make sure I have a heart attack. Other option stop the drug and ensure I have a heart attack. Worse drug I have ever been on. While still on it I can’t sleep, have tremors, am freezing all the time., shower hurts my skin, depressed, anxious and as I said an added 60 pounds. So as I see my doctor next week. Would rather go off of this terrible drug. Lost the weight in a healthy way. And apparently have a heart attack. Yep great drug!!Read More Read Less

ecgs8 | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
12/21/2020

I'm not sure what is going on, every few years my thyroid goes haywire, my TSH hits the bottom of the charts so my Synthroid dose has to be increased a lot. Then all goes back to normal numbers for another year or so.

Levothyroxine | 65-74 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/1/2020
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I have been on a dose of 50 mcg of levothyroxine for almost a year now and it is the worse drug I have ever taken. I sweat all of the time, my joints ache, my short term memory has decreased and my blood glucose has increased. The blood glucose increase started the week I started this drug. What I can't believe is that endocrinologists so readily prescribe a medication that they must know increases blood sugar ( there are many peered reviewed journal papers that report this). I'm in the process of switching endocrinologists in the hope of finding one I trust.Read More Read Less

Satisfied | 65-74 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
5/17/2020
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I have been taking Synthroid for over 44 YEARS. My lab results always run high, but I look and feel fine. My DX is Hashimotothyroiditis. It is difficult to find and talk to a Dr. who is willing to treat the "symptoms" as opposed to relying on strictly lab results. Now I am faced with having to switch to a generic form, and I am concerned that I will still feel the same as I do now taking Synthroid.

BRIBOT-MEDICAL | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
3/12/2020
Condition: Serious Decrease in Thyroid Function

Stay away from this drug, unless you literally have no other options helping your health with good foods. This drug will cause Osteopenia, if taken over long periods of time on a daily basis. After Osteopenia, next comes Osteoporosis. First hand experience, and your Doctor may no even tell you about this known side effects! I took myself off this drug, reversed the effects, eat healthy, and consider others to be cautious if they have to take this drug. There are natural ways to help Thyroid issues, taking this drug should not be the option, unless you have no other choice! Read More Read Less

jujubees54 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/23/2019
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I was taking synthroid and experienced a severe allergic reaction to the other ingredients, acacia, aluminum, talc and possibly a gluten like substance. I am switching to Tirosint which only contains the necessary ingredients plus glycerine. It is pure without things like food dyes, aluminum, acacia etc. and cleaner, more effective.

jujubees54 | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/23/2019
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I had a severe allergic reaction to using Synthroid. I am celiac and have asthma but both controlled by a gluten free diet. Synthroid contains both acacia and I suspect another unknown ingredient that triggers my celiac, in addition to aluminum, talc and other weird stuff. Plus no noticeable improvement in my thyroid condition.

Jojo33 | 25-34 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/12/2019
Condition: A Progressive Disease of the Thyroid Gland

I was diagnosed with graves. Total thyroidectomy 2009. I now have both hypo and hyper symptoms. insomnia,neuropathic pain in shoulders and neck, agitation, anxiety and depression not to mention the mania ( _ )

RMB | 45-54 | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
2/1/2019
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I had RAI for hyperthyroidism. Started taking levothyroxine as directed and religiously. This stuff is poison. Had symptoms of body tremors, severe pains in leg, general body pains and, the worst symptom of all, debilitating depression. Having to continuously up the dosage is ridiculous. It is NOT natural and harms the body. I switched to ndt and started feeling better within one week. Suffering needlessly is a pitiful thing to do. Having a doctor who ignores your symptoms (when you know your own body) is also cringeworthy. Find a professional to listen to you and one that will treat you with respect to your being an individual. Itâ??ll change your quality of life. Read More Read Less

mumk | 75 or over | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/3/2019
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

My hair falls out, I have gained weight without increase in food intake. Constantly tired-exhausted

Bob-O | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
12/13/2018
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I visited an endocrinologist for diabetes issues. The endocrinologist also ran a Thyroid panel and started me on Synthroid because my TSH was at 10.5. Dosage started at 50 mcg and was gradually increased over 3 months to 125 mcg. TSH is now at 3.8 and other Thyroid tests are in the normal range as well.

Shahna1968 | 45-54 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
11/16/2018
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

Had RAI for Graves in 1996. Continuously increasing my dose of Synthroid since until now at 175mcg, I'm 5'3" and weigh 130, constant fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, constipation, gained 10 lbs while eating much less, brain fog and have I said CONSTANT FATIGUE! The ONLY thing that helped was adding Cytomel T3 to my dosing...this has been a LIFESAVER! I feel many thyroid patients just go with whatever their MD's push them to take, according to what the pharmacy reps push on them. ALL thyroid patients NEED to go with how they feel and not just what MDs want to push on them!Read More Read Less

Goofball | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/23/2018
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I take my meds in the morning for about 3 months. But I do not sleep well from only 25 mg. I started taking it every other day and still the same. I still tired!!

Dawna | 55-64 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
3/8/2018
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

Taking it for 10 years since my radioactive iodine tx with no problems except some thining hair. Kept thyroid levels in check. Unbeknownst to me meds were exchanged for generic (Insurance company requirement) and at next MD APPT my thyroid levels were very low. It was then revealed they had exchanged my Synthroid for generic. Once I went back to name brand everything improved.

MrsMack | 65-74 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
12/30/2017
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

Been taking this in varied doses for about 8 years. 3 months ago TSH was 0.001 about dropped off the chart, they changed dose from 88 to 50 and in 60 days it spiked to 6.7. The last few years the TSH levels are all over the lot. I am tired, crabby, weight went way up but when the dose was changed to 50 I managed to drop 20 pounds with a lot of very serious low carb eating. Hair fell out like crazy plus eyebrows

Blessed | 55-64 | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
10/18/2017
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I was prescribed Synthroid after my thyroid surgery. I have been taking it since January. So far I have been doing great. My only complaint is I am still experiencing hair loss and weight gain.

kitcat18 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
10/4/2017
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I was put on synthroid 1 yr. after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles of me. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat & sore throat, more hair falling out & nails more brittle. My doctor told me to keep taking the generic. I went to my primary physician and he said we will keep changing the medicine until we find one that works. I’m hopeful now and wish I had switched doctors 6 yrs. ago.Read More Read Less

yakno | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/30/2017

I tried Levothyroxine 25 mcg, but had bad side effects, so my doctor prescribed Synthroid 25 mcg to see if I would do better. I was on it for two months and felt okay, but then the exact same symptoms that I felt on Levothyroxine showed up. It was a very bad headache on my left side of the head, usually behind the eye, and also a pain in my left side under the breast, and heart palpitations, fluttering, and beating really hard at times too. I had an x ray when on Levothyroxine for that pain in my side, but nothing showed in the x-ray. I had no idea it was because of the drug. I only connected the dots when I had the exact same pain when on Synthroid. Besides those symptoms, I felt really ill, like my whole body was shutting down, sensitivity to sound and light, couldn't handle any stimulation or stress. I felt like I was shaking or having tremors on the inside like I was standing on one foot all day, like the exertion of standing on one foot, I felt like I was doing that all day. That feeling was the worst of all the symptoms. The day I stopped taking Synthroid, the tremor, and shaking feeling on the inside, and pain on left side under the rib cage went right away. and I my headache and heart palpitations subsided greatly the day I stopped taking it, but took two weeks to completely go away, but it faded a lot each day. I took Synthroid for a week after feeling the headache and heart issues, but it wasn't getting any better, it was getting worse by the day to be next to intolerable. I saw a clear improvement each day since I have stopped taking it. Each day better than the next. While on Levothyroxine, I suffered for much longer because I didn't realize I was so sick because of the drug. I went to get x rays, got blood work done, etc. The symptoms on Levo crept up on me more slowly than while on Synthroid so it took me more by surprise.Read More Read Less

Melissa | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
4/11/2017
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

Even thought my tiredness is going away. I am having mini seizures, headaches, dizziness and joint pain. I have been taking the name brand since aug. of 2016 and that is how long the seizures and others has been happening. Talk to dr she keep saying not thyroid or medication related.

JoAnn D | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
3/29/2017
Condition: Underactive Thyroid

I have been on Synthroid for about 11 years, and as others have stated, weight gain from no where no matter how much I work out, the massive change in diet. I too have mood swings from highly irritated to depression with tears, I am always tired no matter how much rest I get. I would like to stop taking this drug as well but I have also found out that the natural option NP Thyroid by Acella is not that good.