I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid a year ago. I was put on methimazole, and my blood levels are now within a normal range. I have had no side effects at all.

I, against my better judgement, and at the md's urging, took one freaking pill--5 mgs. this AM (a year ago I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid--put on meds--lost 31 pounds (to 86) got bad bronchitis and then told I had hyperthyroid! So, one pill--4 hours later -- in the supermarket-- had a few small seizures and hallucinations--called the doc (it's her day off) and said no more--I'm done. T...

SRio2022 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/21/2022

After 1 day, I was extremely tired and requiring naps. After 4 days, I suddenly started getting extreme headaches on my right side. It’s so severe I can barely think. It comes in clusters, which I learned is Cluster Headaches. Dr said “no relation to 5mg of pills” but pharmacist said “stop taking this pill.” I’ve stopped for only 2 days but am left with severe headaches that I’ve never encountered before taking this pill. I’m done.

BossLadyG | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
8/10/2022
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Gained 8 lbs in about 8 months. Feel sore in legs, arms & shoulders.

Lisa | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/30/2022
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

For two years prior to being officially diagnosed as having sub-clinical hyperthyroidism, I was in the throes of menopause and suffering with severe anxiety, unintentional loss of 30lbs (I looked skeletal), inability to sleep, increased bowel output, night sweats, heart palpitations, brain fog, irritability, heat intolerance/over heating constantly, hypoglycemia, and gum recession. My TSH was below normal and both my T3 and T4 were very low. My doctor told me I was an anomaly due to all my thyroid levels being on the very low or sub-clinically low level. He also told me he just wanted to monitor my condition at first and did not recommend taking any anti-thyroid medications at the time because I was just coming out of menopause and he hoped the thyroid condition might reverse itself once I was postmenopausal. It didn't. Then Covid hit and for the next year it was impossible for me to get an appointment to see him. My quality of life was declining and I felt like I was going crazy. When I was finally able to be seen, my doctor found I had thyroid nodules and formally diagnosed me with sub-clinical hyperthyroidism, I was prescribed 5mg per day of Methimazole. I was very concerned about taking this drug, even at the low dose I was prescribed, as I had read all of the negative reviews regarding the side effects. People referring to Methimazole as "The Devil" scared me. I started taking the Methimazole and immediately suffered with severe headaches, itching of my legs, feeling tired all the time, sensitivity in my teeth that came and went, a subtle change in taste, constipation, and feeling cold all the time. I thought about discontinuing taking it but didn't. I had blood work done 6 weeks after starting Methimazole and found I now had flipped to being subclinically-hypothyroid. While the side effects are a nuisance, they are tolerable as my body adjusts to the medication. I am thrilled that I actually sleep at night now as compared to lying in bed wide awake all night sweating with a "buzzing brain". I no longer wake up with the pounding heart palpitations and dizziness I used to have to deal with every morning. My mental clarity is the best part of taking Methimazole - no more brain fog or feeling I am losing my mind. My doctor is amazed that I responded so quickly to the Methimazole and has adjusted my dose down to 5mg 5 days a week. Fingers crossed the reduction will totally resolve the headaches, constipation, and feeling of being cold that I have been experiencing and I will become euthyroid. It is too soon to say how long I will need to take this medication or if I may relapse. My doctor is hopeful I may be able to completely stop taking it in the near future. I want to encourage anyone who is prescribed Methimazole to give it a chance. Even with the side effects I have experienced so far, the change in my mental clarity and quality of life is remarkable. I am thrilled to feel more like my old self again. Read More Read Less

M.S. | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
3/17/2022
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid/ Grave's Disease in 2019 today I am still on Methimazole (2022) I am on 5 mg 1 pill a day. My T4 and T3 are within the proper range and I am now working on my TSH to get in the proper range. It does take a strict diet and eating the proper foods to control the thyroid ( lots of discipline ) Being on Methimazole and the proper mg's I have had no side effects. I do have an option to take the RAI pill if needed as surgery for me is not an option.

mee | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/14/2022
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Itchy and hives after three weeks. Try to take with a full meal.

Finn | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/14/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Leg cramps and horrible skin issues .

Elaine | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
6/16/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Felt horrible before I started on this med. weak, starving all the time, slept horribly, muscle shakes, lost 20 lbs. that I did not need to loose. Been taking 10 mg daily for a month, ZERO side affects from this drug. I feel so much better, no more muscle weakness and tremors, sleeping much better, have not gained alot of weight. Doing so much better on the med. Not sure how long yet I will have to take it. Have appt. again with specialist next week. So we will see what my levels are now in my blood. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/4/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Started taking a small dose and gained 20lbs in about 3 weeks and felt a bit bloated and just 'off'. My endocrinologist said the weight gain wasn't due to the med as this isn't a side effect but I think it was totally due to the med. Other patient reviews say the same thing. I was watching what I ate and doing yoga daily and nothing else in my life had changed. I stopped taking the med and lost the weight. However, my t4/t3 levels went up again so will try the med again at a 2.5mg dose as I don't want surgery and then have to take other meds for the rest of my life!Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/29/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

I've been on this for probably 4 years now. I only take 5mg a day x 6 days a week. It took awhile to adjust the right amount of mgs. My numbers are real good and want to keep it that way. My liver gets checked a few times a year.

Xzy | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/13/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

From ptu to methimazole my doctor switched and i got heart palpitations, fatigue, sometimes feel dizzy for first 3 days of taking the medication hope this is not a serious side effects of the drug and it this wont take long i hate my heart skipping beat i feel tired

Sterling | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/5/2021
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

ITCHING ALL OVER BUT HANDS AND FEET ARE ITCHING ME CRAZY! I stopped this after a month. I’m getting the whole thyroid removed!

Mysamba | 65-74 | Female | Patient
2/1/2021

This is a nasty drug. Leaves metallic taste in your mouth and messed with my cognitive function. Diarrhea and stomach cramps too. It did clear the diverticulitis though. I hope I never have to take it again. It works though!

Bernie | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/16/2020
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

had a rash early on but went away, have upset stomach at times, perhaps dizzy at times but I have bad ears which result in me being dizzy occasionally, so probably no the drug

lachicamaryann | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/28/2020
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

I had a severe reaction... My face and legs were swollen and I got hives all over my body and in my head.

lachicamaryann | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/28/2020

Mim | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
2/14/2019
5j2jch | 75 or over | Female | Patient
10/17/2018
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

I’m having joint pain and muscle cramps since I started on this medication.

Amber222 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
9/6/2018
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

Dry skin,ache and pain in fingers and toes legs and shoulder,headaches forva week .

Anonymous | 65-74 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/24/2018
Condition: Overactive Thyroid Gland

I have only been on low dose for 10 days. i appreciated reading all the reviews as i have noticed some vision problems and bloated stomach. not sure if its the medication. my doctor also is one that says not due to medication on anything I ask him so it was good to read reviews from others on same medication. also read should only be on it no more than 2 years, but some of reviews show been on it for a lot longer.

Anonymous | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient