What in the WORLD is going on, here? After 12 years of drinking virtually every day (moderate to extreme amounts) and desperately wanting to quit, I finally made it in to see my GP. I am the worlds most sinister alcoholic. No DUI, no legal problems, generally stayed out of embarrassing situations, successful professional and a complete and total drunk. Drink in the mornings, throughout the day a...

It does not work for me.6

Nutmeg | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
11/25/2020

I tried naltrexone at a low dose of 4.5 mg dose years ago for my fibromyalgia pain, and it had no effect. But at a higher dose (I started with 24.5 mg and now take 50 mg) it is extraordinarily effective. I'm thrilled with this result, but I worry about the long-term effects, so I do not plan to take it indefinitely. The side effects - energy, a spacey feeling - I find pleasant. But this also makes me worry that perhaps this is just another painkiller, and that I'll build up a tolerance and be worse off when I try to wean myself off it. It's promoted as safer and non-addictive, but not enough is known about it yet for those claims to be trusted. It perplexes me that naltrexone is an opioid antagonist, but it feels slightly like an opioid to me. So I'm trilled to have relief from the pain, but I proceed with caution.

Jenn | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/28/2020
Condition: Habit of Drinking Too Much Alcohol

I finally decided to quit drinking. I was prescribed this pill as a trial to see if it helped with the cravings. It sure helped! I have been taking this pill every day for 21 days. On day 22, I figured I would cut the dose in half to begin weaning myself off the medication. Unfortunately, I was craving alcohol all day long with the half dose and decided to make myself a cocktail. Two sips into the cocktail I became nauseous and felt hot. I had an instant headache and did not catch a buzz from the attempt. The rest of the drink went down the drain. It was not enjoyable at all. This medication is amazing and I learned that Iâ??m not ready to cut down on the prescribed dose. Iâ??m actually glad that the drink I made wasnâ??t enjoyable, as it confirms that alcohol is poison and I donâ??t need it in my life anymore. Knowing that the drink I tried to have wasnâ??t enjoyable at all will make me avoid alcohol all together for a while. I am so grateful for this medication and will talk to my doctor about the monthly shot, as I heard it worked just as well as a daily pill.

Lighthouse | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/3/2020
Condition: Habit of Drinking Too Much Alcohol

Iâ??m on day 3. I donâ??t have a desire to drink, but I think itâ??s primarily because this medication is making me extremely nauseous. Also having some dizziness and sleepiness, although seem to be getting better.

Woe_is_me | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
7/11/2020

I was actually prescribed naltrexone for binge eating. After my Husband cheated on me followed by the suicide of my stepson I definitely went into a downward spiral. I started therapy for obvious reasons and expressed how I would buy a whole cake, chocolates and pastries and EAT IT ALL. I am honestly surprised I didn’t get diabetes. I also started to drink a bit more then normal but nothing to the point of needing help as the drug is intended for. I am 5feet 7inches, 135 lbs athletic build. I take 25mg at night right before bed cause it knocks me the f out. I still have a cocktail occasionally but either nurse it or forget I have it. It has helped immensely with my binge eating. I did notice when I eat and before “I know” I am full/had enough, my body does this quick intense reaction of wanting to spit out the food and hits this “yuck” button. This medication definitely discourages over eating, at least for me and helped me feel more in control. I have a very dear friend who I know struggles with drinking and suggested this medication. She’s currently on it and extremely happy. I would definitely agree with a majority of the comments about finding the right dosage that works for you. Technically I should be taking 50mg but my body works better on 25mg. This medication can be a game changer in someone’s life, I highly recommend it.

Niki Nik | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/1/2020
Condition: Habit of Drinking Too Much Alcohol

Nonstop vomit/ not even h20 1 pill=2 days dry heaving only Forced sleep is better/ scares me