My drs and I kept trying to solve my severe low energy and all over muscle pains. These were constant, over and above upo and down anemia, and pain killers/exercises for stenosis and related lower back disease. Also different from the sedative effect of my anti-depressant. Tested ok on thyroid. Tested for Vitamin D and forget exact number, but I was severely low. Have been on 50k units of erg...

Dr. ordered blood test. Severely low Vit D Levels. Prescribed 50,000 units twice a week for 2 months. Just took 2nd dose after a week since the first dose caused me nausea and severe muscle pain. I was diagnosed with the flu so maybe that was it and not the effect of the pill. Trying it again to see what if any affect it has on me. Will report back in.

Debra | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/12/2021
Condition: Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency

I started taking this medication for Vitamin D deficiency. By the second week I experienced excruciating lower back pain and severe muscle spasms. Iâ??ve been confined to my bed/couch for the past 5 days, taking muscle relaxers and pain pills. Only until I read the reviews here and saw others experiencing lower back pain did I realize itâ??s the massive amount of Vitamin D (50,000/week) I was taking! Iâ??m trashing this drug and heading outside to get some sun!!!

dr. h | 75 or over | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/17/2019
Condition: Osteoporosis

Note that D2 and D3 are NOT the same and have different uses. High levels of D2 (50,000) are tolerated and are used to increase calcium intake by bones. D3, often used for psoriasis should be a lower dose. D3 also produced by sunlight, approx. 10,000 iu with 10min of half body sun. Dr. H. physiologist.

50s male | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months |
4/14/2019
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Why are doctors prescribing D2? I read from several sources that D3 is more easily absorbed and more effective, and it's easy and inexpensive to buy anywhere. I will be taking D3 supplements and see if it is better.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/8/2018
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Hi again, it's me lol. I posted early this morning and have another update. Day 2. Just had another massive explosive diarrhea episode. It was grand. It happened after I drank some iced coffee. Again, I'm not prone to blowing up the toilet but there it is. No other changes to report. Just bought some B12 1000 mg which was also recommended by my doc yesterday. Gonna pop one after I eat. Y'all pray for me, I don't want to have this sour feeling in my stomach and raavaging the john. I hope this is just a temporary setback on the road to health. I'll be back with more updates. Toodaloo. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 35-44 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/8/2018
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Went for my follow up visit yesterday and was told my Vitamin D level was tested at 7 -- which the doc said was SUPER low. Was prescribed Vit D2 1.25 mg (50,000 unit) to be taken once a week for 3 months. I took my first dose 4 hours ago at 12:47am and just woke up to go to the bathroom and had explosive diarrhea. I seldom get explosive diarrhea. Lol I couldn't believe I didn't blow up the toilet LMAO. Anyway, just thought I'd leave a review. Found this site right before taking my first dose a few hours ago and read all the comments. I don't ever write reviews but I thought it might be helpful to keep a journal of this 3 month journey back to Vitamin D health. No signs of naseau, nothing else to mention other than my bowels feel really cleaned out now hahaha. Good luck to everyone's health. You got this.Read More Read Less

Bippy | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/1/2017
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency (High Dose Therapy)

Vit D level recently tested at 17. Prescribed 50,000 IU twice a week for six weeks, 5,000 IU daily thereafter. On third dose now and feeling much better. Energy is increased and stable throughout the day, joint pain, especially at night, is much reduced. I lived in Alaska for 30 years, now Washington state, where D production via skin is limited. So glad my new PA caught this issue.

MaggieInIllinois | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/1/2017
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency (High Dose Therapy)

Used 50,000 units once a week for three months. Testing of Vit D level increased slightly. C0ntinued for another 3 months and still did not meet minimum "normal." I experience sharp, stabbing pain in my toes and calf of legs.

Anonymous | 65-74 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
1/6/2017
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

I took the egocalciferol weekly for eight weeks. Little to no improvement was noted at follow-up labs. Back on it again for another eight weeks. The side-effect I noticed was my loss of taste, which I noted from another testimonial. Very weird; nothing else to report. I am hoping for improvement after this course.

maffieinillinois | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
6/16/2016
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency (High Dose Therapy)

Used 50,000 units once a week for six months. Testing of Dit D level increased slightly. I experience sharp, stabbing pain in my toes and calf of legs.

FoonTheElder | 55-64 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
7/21/2015
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency (High Dose Therapy)

I have used it a number of times for Vitamin D deficiency. Improves the level a little bit, but not usually enough to get to the minimum level. Side effects, headache, dizziness.

Lisa | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/14/2015
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency (High Dose Therapy)

I have been taking Vitamin D2 for 2 months and it has brought my levels way up. I have experienced low back pain, and wondered if this was a side effect?

Maureen | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/3/2015

Anonymous | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/10/2014
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

I had been feeling extremely tired and had no energy no matter how much I slept for almost a year. It turns out my Vitamin D level was 13.9 so the doctor put me on ergocalciferol. I have to take once a week for 3 months then retest vitamin d levels. I've been taking this for almost 2 months now and have noticed a ton of improvement. After 3 weeks of taking it I noticed I had more energy and by the 5 weeks I felt back to normal again. I can't believe I had been living like that for so long! The only side effect I have is that after I take it I get tired, so tired that I have to take a nap or I can't function. Once I wake up from my nap I feel fine though. For people with sensitive stomachs, make sure you eat something before you take it or else you might have stomach pain/cramps/nausea. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/2/2014
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Have not been retested since started-50,000 every week. My lower back is hurting constantly since treatment began. Is this a side effect anyone else has had?

pennygirl | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/11/2014

My Vitamin was very low. I take the liguid form which taste terrible...My Vit D was 18 when I started now about 20. Haven't seen much change since I been taking it. I take 1ML per day...

Anonymous | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
11/2/2013
Condition: Osteoporosis
[email protected] house | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/8/2013

I just started this medication for the treatment of hiv

Tired of being sick | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
2/1/2013
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

Have been to several specialists for body wide muscle pain, fatigue, muscle spasticity, trouble swallowing, insomnia, and depression. Finally, one of my doctors ordered D 25 hydroxy test and my vit D level was 18.2. I am taking Vit D2 50,000 units twice a week. Have been taking for 5 weeks without side effects. I have about 20% less fatigue and muscle pain. Will take for 3 months and have level rechecked.

debcab | 65-74 | Female | Patient
1/23/2013
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

I started this in December. About that time I developed hemorroids. Has anyone else had that problem? I also took this last year due to Vit D deficiency but did not notice any problems.

Angela | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
8/9/2012
Condition: Vitamin D Deficiency

I was prescribed by my doctor because a deficiency en Vitamin D (only 20 ng/mL). It gave me pain in my knees and ankles that I never had before. It gave me pain in my right shoulder like the pain I had 4 years ago when I had a calcified right shoulder (and had to get cortizone to break it). It make me dizzy and I also had more urine than usual. I will not take this pill anymore. I did a research with Dr. Joseph Mercola and I should take Vitamin D3 and not D2.