Gene Health Metoprolol Succer 25 md 2per day 2014-11-27 Web MD Reviews: I came to Web MD Reviews because I suspected that I was suffering from side effects due to taking, by prescription of my heart surgeon, Metoprolol Succer, 25 mg 2 per day after formerly taking 12,5 mg per day for about 2 years. Several of these side effects have been bothering me for over a year or more without my realizing ...

Have not taken yet, doctor prescribed just yesterday.

Anonymous | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
5/12/2022

Dropped heart rate to below 40! Experienced shortness of breath on activity and extreme weakness. Absolutely miserable. Could hardly function.

Luisa | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/8/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and was prescribed Metoprolol 25 mg twice a day. It’s been 7 months and I’ve been having horrible side effects. I have leg and muscle pain, chest pain and I feel dizzy , feel circulation issues such as numbness and tingling on both hands and feet. I also have night sweats and can’t sleep much. I have gained weight and although I have been eating healthy , drinking lots of water and exercising every day, I won’t lose the weight or feel any better. I have contacted my doctor to change the medication. I never knew this medication was going to give me horrible side effects. I hope once they change the medication I get back to being my self. Read More Read Less

Pat | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
5/4/2022
Condition: Ventricular Rate Control in Atrial Fibrillation

Was found to have atrial fibrillation by primary care Dr. Was prescribed Diltiazem 60mg twice per day and referred to a cardiologogist. Told the cardiologist that I was shot of breathe often. After several tests it was found that I had accumulated fluid around my heart. The Dr said that the fluid around my heart was causing me to be short of breath. Entered the hospital for surgery to remove the fluid. I f eel far worse now than I did before entering the hospital. Am now on metroprolol 25mg twice per day. Both diltiazem and metroprolol make me feel terribly ill. Headaches, dizziness, chest pain, terrible dry cough, sense of taste & smell are subdued, my breathing is not as good as it was before entering the hospital, overwhelming feeling of unwellness, no motivation, no positive outlook. Against Drs orders I stopped taking metoprolol for two days. Side effects went away and I felt whole again. But, I had to go back on it. Read More Read Less

retired | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
4/22/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Was taking atenolol for over 30 years with little problems except weight gain, but as I aged didn't work for me much anymore so my dr. switched me to metoporol succ. After taking it my bp went to numbers off the richter scale 260 over 110. Stopped taking it immediately and bp slowly came down after taking diltiazem. My brother takes it with no problem. Now back on smaller dose of atenolol and diltiazem and may wean off atenolol slower to see if I can do without.

Lu | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/13/2022
Condition: Prevention of Recurrent Atrial Fibrillation

Didn't help with the palpitations, infact felt like my heart thudding everyday. Was taking amlodipine 10mg also while taking metoprolol succ er 25mg it made my heart rate drop very low down to 36-40 average. Sure it made my blood pressure very low. The drug made me dizzy and lightheaded 75% of the time. I had shortness of breath, felt even worse at night couldn't breathe. I took it for 2weeks, and I just quit and i feel so much better. This drug is a poison pill.

Ashley g | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/2/2022
Condition: Diastolic Heart Failure

I caught covid twice in the past two years. Starting getting horrible pvc's and some pacs along with high blood pressure. Prescribe 25 mg once daily. I'm happy to say it completely eliminated my PVCs over a 3 month period. Sad to say im starting to experience the bad side of this medicine loosing hair gaining weight lazy depression and horrible anxiety and higher blood pressure! Im slowly tapering off due to these horrible side effects. Praying my pvcs stay at bay.

Joanna norrid | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/19/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

My BP is great but I'm feeling horrible side effects such as neck tighting. My heart beat feels way off , and super depressed and tired. I quit my job stopped answering my phone. I don't want to go out in public. Anxiety at an all time high. Feel socially unacceptable, I didn't even want to pick up my paycheck because I didn't want to deal with anyone. I feel awful and awkward.

Sherry | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
3/17/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

This Medicine has taken away my mobility, peace of mind and overall quality of life. I started having spasms in my legs and it became hard for me to walk. It progressed and I ended up with a walker. Now I am in a wheelchair. The paint attacks became worse. I became so afraid to do anything. I have fallen several times. I was told by my cardiologist it wasn't the drug. I was not like this before. I was so sick after taking it all I could do was go to bed. Then the sweating, and It would cause my potassium to be so low I ended up at the ER several times and had to get Potassium. It took all of my hair out and I gained 31pounds after 4years of this nightmare. I primary Dr finally took me off. I had to be weaned off. I thought my life was coming to and end. Even though I only took 25mg once a day it still was a nightmare..The process of weaning from this medication was AWFUL. I had terrible shakes with sweating, dizziness unable to function for several weeks. My mobility became worse. I needed help to do the basic things, like taking a bath. I have loss 14 pounds trying to get off this medication. My Blood pressure went through the roof 215/114 days of it being189/98 I was afraid I would have a stroke or heart attack.i now have physical therapy come to my home in hopes of gaining my mobility back. I am on a new drug called inderal 10mg each day Iam feeling more like myself. I pray to be walking soon and enjoying life.Read More Read Less

Beckett | 65-74 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
3/16/2022
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was prescribed this 2 months ago to replace carvedilol after developing extra heartbeats from prednisone. I keep taking COViD tests because I feel so lousy but after reading some if these reviews I believe it may be the metoprolol. I told my cardiologist I thought it was the meds but she was doubtful. My joints and upper back hurt, my right shoulder and underarm/ribs feel swollen, terrible fatigue and nausea. I am going to go to half dose and see if there is any improvement.

Julie | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
1/4/2022
Condition: Ventricular Rate Control in Atrial Fibrillation

I had a ventricular ablation 2 years ago and the doc put me on this and said it would only be for a few months. Every time I go see the cardiologist, he tells me he won't let me stop taking it until I lose 20 #'s. I have gained 40 #'s since I began taking this. My BP is out of control and is usually 154/95 and the doctor has labeled me as white coat syndrome. After reading all of the reviews from others, I believe that it's time I weaned myself off of this. I have been drained, tired and lethargic since the beginning of taking these meds. I have sore muscles, sleep a minimum of 8 hours daily and have zero energy. I come home from work and it's all I can do to make dinner and collapse for the night. Thank you all for the reviews and opening my eyes to the issues of this medication.Read More Read Less

Wewillbeok | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
12/1/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Since taking this medication for my blood pressure. I'm dizzy, confused, I sweat so much at night...oh, let's not talk about the seeing things and extremely vivid dreams. I'm starting to question if I actually did a task or if it was all a dream. It's irritating.

DontTakeit | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/15/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

All I can say is, RUN!!! I've been on Metoprolol succ.for 7 days, I feel like I am dying. My entire body hurts. My intestines are swollen and painful, back, pelvis, thighs, hips, calves, legs, ankles, feet, toes, arms, neck, chest, buttocks, shoulders, hands, fingers, jaw, ear, head!!!!! It all hurts. I have burning, tingling, numbness, pain randomly everywhere. My heart is palpitating on and off, I feel like I can't breathe, terrible headache, chest heaviness, swollen lymph node in neck, dry mouth, extreme fatigue, blurred vision, shakiness, anxiety, crying, sore muscles all over.....I just can't, this pill is the devil himself. Read More Read Less

No | 55-64 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
10/5/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

After switching to er my BP went up and I am ending a very uncomfortable week

Anonymous | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
8/30/2021

My husband was just prescribed this medicine about a week ago. I gave it to him at night and about 30 minutes later, he felt like he was having a panic attack.

MAFMAMA | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
Condition: High Blood Pressure

MAFMAMA - my rating was very off

MAFMAMA | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in December 2019 at the age of 46 after having approx. 3 years of prior joint pain. After a few months of physical therapy, the pain began to return and was much worse. This is what led to RA testing, upon confirming this diagnosis I was extremely confused why I developed it, RA does not run in my family. My rheumatologist started me on methotrexate and I made appointments with two orthopedic surgeons. I will mention that prior to all of this my hair has been falling out in handfuls for years, leaving me with very thin hair. The pain became too much to bear so I had my left shoulder replaced on 11/23/20. I have had 2 separate hip injections to help relieve pain in the right hip area and I know that joint will have to be replaced at some time. Currently, my right shoulder is giving me more problems with pain and the ability to function because I am right-handed. I have contacted all my doctors, the FDA directly, and my pharmacist; as well as done my own research. Following is the email I sent to my doctors: I received some extremely shocking news from a stranger today and I'm scared and need to know what to do next. Long story short I was small talking with a lady and mentioned I had RA and she got a blank stare on her face and said "are you on metoprolol?". I said yes, she said "get off now", it causes RA and makes you lose your hair, I removed my cap and told her I bought Rogaine last night because my hair is so thin and getting worse. I notified my pharmacist and my PCP. Both have heard of side effects but had never actually seen someone with it. Well, that may not be accurate anymore. I have already done some research on my own and have found a small study from 1986 and more in-depth research at Taiwan University. WebMd also mentions that this is a very rare occurrence but this RARE event has caused irreparable destruction, disruption, and hardship to my body, my family, and possibly the length of my life. To my knowledge, there are 79 known cases filed with the FDA, I am number 80, which I can guarantee is underreported. PLEASE IF ANYONE DEVELOPED RA WRITE A MESSAGE AND REPORT TO www.fda.gov/medwatchRead More Read Less

MommaBear | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
Condition: Heart Rate Between 100 and 130 Beats Per Minute

My normal resting rate before taking the medication is 130-140bpm. My Dr started me off taking 12.5mg of Metoprolol Tartae and found that it wasn't lasting long enough. After finding out my body over produces adrenaline, my Dr put me on Metoprolol Succtate 25mg. It's been three months and I've been experiencing headaches, stomach pains, coldness in fingers and feet and swelling. As well as dizziness, weakness and fatigue. Making it hard to work and enjoy life.

Hope | 55-64 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Caregiver
6/16/2021
Condition: High Blood Pressure

Please be aware of the cognitive side effects of this drug. Some doctors will tell you there are no known cognitive side effects, but that is NOT TRUE at all. It has been documented by numerous and well respected sources. My mother had no cognitive issues prior to being put on this drug, at the tail end of the first year of being on it, she started displaying signs of forgetfulness. That's all it ever was and did not disrupt her daily life at all. A few years ago her doctor increased her dosage from 50mg to 100mg and three months later she had her first hallucination. Everyone wrote my mother off has having dementia, but it never made any sense until I did the research myself when nobody else gave it a second thought, including "medical professionals". This drug has been linked to triggering psychosis and delirium & has been documented as a drug with potential side effects that mimic dementia. This drug is also a beta blocker that can have awful side effects in elderly patients, like what was happening to my mom. If someone you love is taking this drug, and they start showing dementia like symptoms after being put on it, look at this drug as being the potential culprit. You are your loved ones best advocate and need to be their voice when they can't explain what they're going through, or are unaware of the symptoms they're experiencing. It's sad to say this, but not all doctors have your loved ones best interest in mind. Persistence is key. I hope this "review" will be helpful & insightful to anyone out there currently going through a similar situation.Read More Read Less

CC | Male | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
4/27/2021
Condition: Chronic Heart Failure

Have been on Metoprolol 50mg for 3 years for heart failure and my Heart Doctor just increased to 100mg. Have the cold toes, fingers, watering eyes, drowsiness, etc.

Help | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/21/2021
Condition: Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia

Had 2 bouts of svt 2 years apart which lasted about 5 days each. Other than that, heart in great shape. Always been healthy and active. Took metoprolol after the 2nd bout and my life has never been the same. It's been almost a year and a half since I took it. Can't exercise, can't handle any type of stress, ongoing palpitations, nightmares, blood pressure fluctuations, depression, hypersensitivity, chest pressure, short of breath. Poison. Don't take.