Was prescribed valproic acid after a psychotic break arrested with lithium and prozac. Initially diagnosed with depression, subsequently altered to bipolar disorder. Have been on 750 mg divided dose for several years, no significant side effects. Went off medication for 3 months, had a manic episode characterized by wild overspending and other dangerous behaviors. Resumed medication regimen an...

NOT SURE HAVEN'T TAKEN IT LONG ENOUGH FIRST TIME ON THIS MEDS.

Anonymous | 35-44 | Male | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/9/2017
Condition: Epileptic Seizure

at daily max dosage recommended for an adult, when taken properly seizures have ceased, have been on this medication for 28+ years, and weight gain as well as hair loss was evident early on in treatment.

anonymous, healthy, male | 19-24 | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
4/13/2016
Condition: Tonic-Clonic Epilepsy

Used 2000mg, daily for about 7-8 years (15 years old-23 years old). depression, mood swings and slight bi-polarism was common. i learnt to adapt and change accordingly. now im free, and i feel normal, although i went though a lot. iv managed to stay healthy, competitive and active, maybe it motivated me even more.

Olive | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Patient
5/14/2015
Condition: Bipolar Depression

I was prescribed this medication by my psychiatrist along with Cipralex (escitalopram) for anti-depression. I have since stopped taking both but while I was on them both I was very uncomfortable and I was far more mentally unstable. I was very aggressive and lethargic. While escitalopram isn't listed as one of the drugs it can react with I would still say to be careful with it. At the time I was under 18 and I'd approximate about 130lbs, and 5'2" if that helps. Sex is female.

Jespicable | 19-24 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
12/24/2014
Condition: Bipolar Depression

Diagnosed Bipolar. Weight gain is obvious. I had to take it daily, and I was getting used to that. Manic state is more controlled now, but I hated the weight gain... I'm having difficulty losing it now. Anyway, for its primary use, it's effective.

Anonymous |
8/14/2014
Condition: Bipolar I Disorder with Most Recent Episode Mixed

I could write a novel on Rx Bi-polar meds after dealing with bi-polar for over 20 yrs. The true issue is preventing manic episodes. Valproic is one of only 3 meds that do that well, and also stop them during a manic phase. The meds work great for both! I have been on and off them due to side effect concerns. They are NOT good for your liver. Your liver is a super organ that does so many things for you. I have been off this med for over a year now. I have no depression and no manic episodes. Getting ALL nutrients, exercise, adequate sleep and avoiding STESS is key. Bi-polar is not a disease, it is a nutrient deficiency that causes imbalances in neurotransmitters! People dealing with "bi-polar" need ALL nutrients and it will go away. These meds are invaluable to bring a manic episode under control, however, they due not "cure the disease". The cure is nutrients...ALL of them! The key nutrients for the neurotransmitters for bi-polar are: FOLATE (Not, absolutely not folic acid! Never consume folic acid!!), CHOLINE, IRON, B6, B12 all amino acids, & MAGNESIUM. Research on the net food sources for them, and consider supplements. However, 99% of all "vitamin supplements" are not vitamins. Even the ones at health food stores! They are pharmaceutical grade analogs (PGA's). They are horrible for your body, cause cancer, and do not work in the same way as REAL vitamins from REAL food. If you research PGA's and how they make them and from what you will be horrified! Do not put them in your body! Instead, research "real food source vitamin supplements" and choose a good one. The one I selected is from Sunwarrior company because it had the adequate levels and correct ratios of B vitamins. I make a shake every morning with Gold Standard Whey protein powder, Twinlabs brewer's yeast, Spirulina, 1cup oatmeal softened in hog water, 1 frozen bannana, empty the herbs & supplements caps into it. I eat only whole, non-gmo, real food. That's all nutrients in a glass!