Our 6 year old son has shown symptoms of ADHD since he was two. Boys will be boys, but he was WAY beyond a typical, energetic kid. We stopped going to church because Sunday school teachers had him in time-out most of the class and couldn't handle him. I didn't go to the grocery alone with him, only if my husband could be there to help corral him. Our pediatricians nurse suggested that he needed ...

Gave Focalin to my 6 yr old child. It begun with 10mg, but teacher said child was a zombie. It went down to 5 MG. It changed my child completely. Wince a happy loving active child, it turned her into a robot like kid. Her expressions changed. Aches and pains all over her body happened daily. Disabilitating headaches were a daily thing. She was also beginning to have a numbness feeling in he...

Alaina Pancake | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Patient
7/29/2021
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I am a 26 year old female who took this when I was between the ages of 11-13, I have the combined type. Started on 5mg and worked up to 15 or 20 (can't remember). The only pros to this medication were that I was insanely focused and had no issues getting work done, in fact it's all I wanted to do. Other than that, I'll walk you through a day of what it was like to be on focalin. After taking my pill in the morning, I would get spasms in my chest/sternum almost every day within 30 mins of taking it (it was almost like I was shivering violently in pulses). That would only last 10-15 minutes. Throughout the school day, the most little things could make me internally rage countless times. I'd be sitting at the lunch table with my friends and would feel no love towards them, just annoyance and frustration. Literally, my friends would make me angry for absolutely no reason every day. In fact, anyone who got in my way of a task/thought I wanted to complete in the most efficient way possible would just make me unnecessarily angry. Like actual burning anger. I was a pretty happy go lucky, love everyone type of kid so this was out of character for me. It caused much internal conflict as I hated myself for feeling that way. All I wanted to do was be an effective working machine, and I was a preteen. I was also a very talkative kid but while on focalin, I never wanted to talk to anyone. By the time the school day would come to an end, I'd have a raging headache pretty much every day (I was a regular at the nurse for Advil). Focalin would also make me not even slightly hungry, so when it would ware off I'd be starving. It also became a habit of mine to crash on the couch within 30 minutes of getting home, I would be exhausted. I hope someone finds this helpful. If you or your kid is on this medication, please be mindful of these side effects. Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Patient
4/7/2021
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I was switched to this after other common stimulants werenâ??t helping. This really did help calm my mind. For the first time since I can remember, my mind was quiet. It was quite remarkable. Unfortunately, I started to notice severe mood swings in the evenings. I would get enraged, throwing things, and it was not pretty. After my doc took me off, those feelings stopped.

cskelton1984 | 25-34 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
1/15/2018
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

I'm on a combo of Bupropion for ADHD, anxiety, and depression. The Bupropion was somewhat ineffective for ADHD, but helped with the anxiety and depression, so we added focalin/dexmethylphenidate. I am still taking 300mg Bupropion XL and added 10mg dexmethylphenidate er. I am very happy with the results. I feel more focused, have a much greater attention to detail, I am more aware of my surroundings (due to less daydreaming), just overall almost off my ADHD symptoms are significantly reduced. I experienced a very mild headache the first couple of days as well as extreme sleepiness in the afternoon, but a week later, those side effects have subsided. The first couple of days I also felt like I was at a loss of words, like I couldn't form coherent sentences and spoke sort of robotic, that also went away. My only issue is that it's going to be a pain to refill, since it's a controlled drug. It's also not in stock at most pharmacies, so I either have to ask around before my doctor fills it, or wait. Kind of a pain, but worth it in the end.Read More Read Less

Alight | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
8/1/2015
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

With this medication my ability to focus was improved significantly. I am able to manage a full time job 3 small children and still work on my degree plans. I truly felt a difference in my attention to details and productivity rate I recommend this for adult who has true difficulties focusing.

anwj1221 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Caregiver
5/1/2015
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My son has been taking Focalin XR for a little over a year now. I am satisfied for the most part; however, he has complete lack of appetite for the 7 hours the drug actually works (compensating in the evenings by eating 3 plates at dinner). In addition, his hyperactivity after the drug wears off is significantly increased. We had to start him on Melatonin at night to settle his mind to get him to sleep. We are looking into a longer lasting medication.

sc nana | 7-12 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Caregiver
2/19/2015
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

Only an occasional headache, weight loss in first few months...but leveled off now

Anonymous | 7-12 | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
10/16/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My Son was on Ritalin but by 12:30 it would wear off and he would lose focus. So his doctor suggested Focalin because it is a time release capsule so far so good. Sleep patterns have not changed, he eats like crazy no negative side effects. I hope it stays this way

Sheila | 35-44 | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
8/21/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

Seem to make no change with my daughter. At time felt like it increased a lost, unattentive child :(

Anonymous | 25-34 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/29/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

first day 10mg took at 2pm noticed at 3pm 6 hrs later wore off I thought xr was time releaced ? I am 34 yo male

Chichi | 13-18 | Female | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
7/25/2014

Thus medicine has helped me tremendously. I'm 16 now and I've been on it for 8 years, taking a three year break and now ready to be back on it. While on it I was a star child. Perfect grades, attendance, hardly sick, calm, and never any sleeping problems. I did have appetite loss and I stayed thin but nothing to bad. Since being off of it I have developed a depression and anxiety disorder, its impossible to stay focused (ADD) and I've gained an easy 80 pounds. Parents, your kids really do benefit. I'm here to say. I'll be a junior this fall and I'll graduate with honors and a 3.8 GPA. Hope this helps someone.(:Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 1 to 6 months | Caregiver
6/24/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My child has been very anxious and fearful

JoJo | 7-12 | Male | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Caregiver
4/17/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My son will be 8yrs old in May. He has been on this medication 8 months. The 1st few months were great. 2 side-effects. Dry mouth and not being able to sleep. A few months ago I began to notice his extreme irritability. He has also developed anxiety and now horrible thoughts of hurting himself. An 8yr old should NOT be having harmful thoughts. I am looking to switch medications, however his doctor seems to think I should be able to get him through these symptoms..... I am thinking not!

ADDmedreview | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Caregiver
3/8/2014

Medicine works great on ADD but may have to stop due to side effects Dry mouth, sore throat, acid reflux side effects

patriciajripley | 7-12 | Male | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Caregiver
2/19/2014

adhd

Anonymous | 35-44 | Female | On medication for 6 months to less than 1 year | Caregiver
2/19/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My son is 8, very small and very smart. Debilitating ADHD. He has been getting kicked out of daycare slash school since age 2. I tried not to do meds but school insisted. We have tried Concerta, Vyvanse, Ritalin, and now Focalin XR. He is on 20mg in am and 20mg at lunch 5 hrs later. He has tolerated it well and continues to grow. Now they want to up him to 30mg in a.m. and I am extremely worried because reading every post most kids are on 5mg and 10mg.

Anonymous | 7-12 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
2/17/2014
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My 8 yo took this 1 day and turned manic, hyperactive, was panting, crying, stomach pains, no appetite and we ended up in the ER with chest pains. Never again.

Mom2Gs | 7-12 | Female | On medication for 2 to less than 5 years | Caregiver
12/11/2013

My daughter has ADD without hyperactivity and has been on this med for nearly 4yrs with increasing doses as she grows. This drug makes a big difference in how she acts and reacts. She says it makes it easier to pay attention and stay on task at school. We find that it lasts her about 6-8hrs and her side effects are minimal, usually lack of appetite midday, but she makes up for it with breakfast and dinner. She does have occaisional headaches but no trouble sleeping or any other side effects. She will usually remind us that she needs her meds.Read More Read Less

eastborne | 65-74 | Male | On medication for 5 to less than 10 years | Patient
12/6/2013

Has allowed me to focus.

confused mom | 7-12 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
12/1/2013
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

Thank you for all your reviews. At one point I was wondering if I was alone. My 9 year old son has ADHD and is on the spectrum. I started out with Vvaynse and it was terrible made him angry and then I switched to a non stimulant Intuniv which took over a month to work and I had to up the mg because of his body weight and it still didn't work how I wanted. He was still having behavior out burst at school ( this started this school year) I have now switched to Focalin 10 mg so far slight headaches in the morning and afternoon no appetite and not sleeping again as well as he did on Intuniv ( which made him couldn't get up to use the restroom in the middle of the night) but the moment it wears off he eats everything in sight. We are on break so I am hoping for the best when he goes back to school this week.Read More Read Less

Anonymous | 3-6 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
11/22/2013
Condition: Attention Deficit Disorder with Hyperactivity

My five year old started this medicine today. No negative side effects. He eats, sleeps, maybe he seems calmer. Hoping this works for him.