Pitocin is a dangerous drug for mothers and babies.

Nikki 9 | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/4/2013

I do not like how this drug is used. My water broke but I had no contractions for 4 hours, so per the Dr suggestion we started pitocin. This did start my contractions but they came fast and hard. Unlike natural labor that allows your body to build up to the contractions. I feel part of this is due to the practice of increasing the dose of the drug. I really feel that I only needed a small dose to kick start my body to produce the natural oxytocin to get my contractions going. Since they kept increasing the drug, the contractions became unbearable with in a 2 hour period. This caused me to give in and ask for an epidural, which I was trying very hard to avoid. I later had a nurse advacate come in to my room and help me request to turn off the pitocin. My labor continued on it's own and I delivered a healthy baby girl. I really wish they would review the process on how this drug is used since every woman is different.Read More Read Less

mishka143 | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
2/28/2012

I was given pitocin along with cervadil to help dialate me. I was only 1cm before AND after 1 bag of pitcin & 2 rounds of cervadil. I think Dr's at too quick to want to drug you up * rush things along when this is NOT a medical procedure, its a natural process God intended & our bodies know what to do & how to do it in Gods time!

1/13/2012
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

after use of this medication i was sent home and came back the next day to find out my baby had passed away....after she was perfectly fine!!!

5/26/2011

Took because baby did not sound good because of stress test. Baby 5 days past due date. Took 24 hours before baby was born.

9/25/2010

I had three children, two were induced. It was the most tamatic exp. I've ever endured! Labor was so painfull iI wanted to die!!! I hemmoraged itched no pain meds worked. Was givin Stadol Inj. for pain with 1st pregnancy and have had severe and chronic back pain ever since. may not be connected.

7/31/2010
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

10 years ago on my due date, I was given pitocin before I had dilated to 2 cm and only 1 hour after water breakage. 16 hours later on pitocin, no labor and only dilated to barely 4 cm...pitocin stopped my labor completely!

Anonymous | 19-24 | Female | Patient
6/23/2010
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

doctors gave me this drug because my contractions were weak and not timed well. they had to keep upping the dose because it wasnt working. i call it the drug from hell because it made my labor so painfull no pain reliever worked.

[email protected] | 25-34 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
9/23/2009
Condition: Hemorrhage Following Delivery of Baby
dianathompson | 35-44 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Caregiver
7/5/2009
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

could this drug cause hemorrhiage following delivery? or incomplete delivery of placenta?

Anonymous |
1/7/2009
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

I used this drug for both pregnancies. The first time was for stalled labor. Everything went beautifully. The second time was for elective induction. For both pregnancies, I delivered vaginally. However, I had an allergic reaction from the epidural the second time which caused me to want to scratch my skin off. I can't say conclusively it was because of the pitocin. I can only say that it was the difference between my spontaneous labor and my induced labor. My first child was 7lbs. 10oz and my second child was 8lbs 12 ozs. Both are happy and healthy.Read More Read Less

3/19/2008
Condition: Use of Drugs or Surgical Procedures to Begin Labor Process

Pitocin is a dangerous drug for mothers and babies.

3/17/2008