I take Amitiza twice a day. It helps me have 4 to 5 bowel movements a week. I was only going once a week before and the straining was terrible. I have a predictable movement instead of the explosive bowel movements I get with linzess or laxatives.

I have been on this medication for one week. It has relieved my chronic constipation but replaced it with loose stools bordering on diarrhea. My doctor prescribed taking the drug 2x daily. However, this produced very, loose stools, painful gas and stomach discomfort. I reduced the dosage to 1x daily and noticed some improvement. Since reducing the dosage, I have less gas, my stools are more fi...

Margaret | 55-64 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
7/8/2021
Condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation

Amitiza did not help with my constipation; quite the opposite I became even more bound up, bloated and in intestinal pain. I also was unable to go to sleep and developed pain in the middle of my chest. Even if this medication did help me, a fate I so very much wished, I would not continue due to the exhorbitant daily cost.

goatzool | 65-74 | Male | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
5/22/2021
Condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation

I tried Amitiza for IBS-C 8 years ago, but on an as-needed basis. It usually worked at 16 mcg, but the next day there was rebound constipation and I was reluctant to take it daily (largely because of the expense). Now I've been through them all and the doctor wants me to try Lubiprostone (now generic) on a regular 2x per day basis. Oddly, it is not as effective now as it was 8 years ago. I am going to try combining it with Miralax, which is apparently an option for colonoscopy prep. The bottom line seems to be that no laxative ever works predictably except (for me) mag cit, and it's a bad idea to take that daily.

Northwest | 75 or over | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
1/5/2021
Condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation

Have M.S. and IBS. After much trial and error: my best daily regimen: Take 1 cap full Miralax in 10 oz hot water or coffee before breakfast. Take 1 8 mg capsule Amitiza with breakfast. Results in 2 hours. May need liquid glycerin suppository when you have urge to go. Dose of 8 mg Amitiza every morning is sufficient. Recommend sticking to a regular schedule but don't worry if you miss a day.

Jim | 55-64 | Male | Patient
7/19/2020
Condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation

Expensuve junk that made my poo like peanut butter. Mirlax works and is cheaper than $320 a month.

Will I Ever 'Go' Again? | 55-64 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
6/30/2020
Condition: Opiate Pain Medication causing Severe Constipation

Doctor gave samples. Within 1 hour I got nauseated, hot all over, chest tight and lungs burning with tiny deep breath, felt 'bad' all over, heart pounding and anxious. Oh...and I had a bowel evacuation (only moderate) but was feeling so bad I needed to lay down. I can't take this stuff ever again. I was incidentally poisoned 10 years ago and the symptoms are the same. I wonder if it has any benzene or formaldehyde in it?