Over the two years that I have been taking this Topral XL 50 I have gained 40 pds. I have been VERY CAREFUL about the food I eat and still have gained weight. I am very upset about this.

My doctor prescribed metoprolol 50mg for high blood pressure. I took it the first time in the evening because I had heard that it caused dizziness in a lot of people. However, it did not make me dizzy at all. By the evening of the next day I began to feel bloating in my rib cage like I was just very full. The second day I felt even worse and by the third day after taking 4 doses I was so miserable...

morgan | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
10/30/2020

I have been taking the actavis generic brand for a decade with no problems but sadly walgreens isn't carrying it anymore. They filled it with generic Teva which is making me feel terrible. Any ideas on how to get Actavis?

Concerned | 65-74 | On medication for 10 years or more | Patient
2/29/2020
Condition: High Blood Pressure

My BP was stable while using Metoprolol Succinate XR 100 mg. mfg. Actavis round white pill 832 over a decade, only problem my heart seem to beat hard and some digestive problems. The last 90 day supply was oval shaped 677 Teva mfg. did not control my BP at all. Headache, irritable and tiredness alerted me something was wrong and readings were 200/150, remaining elevated for several days. I went to Urgent Care at my family doctor for a BP check and it was abnormally elevated verifying that my BP monitor was correct. As patients and consumers how can we be ensured access to medications that work for us? The drug companies buy each other and pharmacies buy from various suppliers; drugs are from other countries not made in the USA! Since we are paying the price monetarily and physically; we should have access to medications that work best for us as individuals. Generic drugs ingredients vary and obviously not the same efficacy across the board. Its like playing Russian Roulette being forced into trying various generic drugs.

Metoprolol EX | 65-74 | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
4/24/2019

Have been on this medication for 24 days an blood pressure remains high

tam | 45-54 | Female | On medication for less than 1 month | Patient
3/15/2019
Condition: High Blood Pressure

I am having severe eye swelling..so bad that I can barely open my eyes. Anyone else doing this. I feel really tired and it is pulling heart rate down to about 40 at times.

2 Rods with 40 Screws. | 45-54 | Female | On medication for 1 to less than 2 years | Patient
3/1/2019
Condition: Heart Rate Between 100 and 130 Beats Per Minute

Following a 14 hr. Spinal Fusion surgery with considerable blood loss, I began having a rapid heart beat, but ONLY when trying to stand up from my hospital bed. It had been an issue in the past as well, as I have undergone MANY (20+) spinal surgeries,and I felt dizzy & light-headed following those procedures also.I had NOT been treated with medication, in a few cases I simply required a transfusion to restore my lowered blood level and some additional rest. This time, the hospital's cardiac Dr on call put me on Toprol 25, which helped, but in general, my symptoms went away after about 3-4 days.Afterwards, at my follow-up with my Primary Dr., I was found to have hypothyroidism, and he started me on Levothyroxine, and continued the Toprol as he felt the thyroid replacement could cause rapid heart beat in the beginning. About 8 months later I began to have severely increased fluid retention in my legs despite being on a long term diuretic. They felt puffy and weak, my walking was extremely limited with barely enough energy to walk down my driveway. I have NEVER had to watch my weight,and I very rarely gain due to over eating. Suddenly I began to pack on pounds despite no change in my diet, though it seemed the additional weight was restricted to my legs and feet, while the rest of me remained the same. (I am on the smaller side, 5'1", and 100 lbs.) Reducing my intake was of no help at all, and I was tired, lacked stamina, and had little interest in my usual hobbies. I slowly began to take fewer and fewer Toprol tabs and immediately saw a reduction in the leg puffiness, and feeling of excess fluid in my legs and feet. My stamina is slowly returning to normal, and I am hopeful I will be back to normal soon in the near future.Sometimes all that's required is rest and letting nature take it's course to heal to return to my old self. Medications are not always required no matter what the issue is.Many times, less is best!!