You may be able to avoid erection problems related to anxiety and stress by taking a more relaxed approach to sex. Talk to your partner about your problems and concerns. Sexual intimacy is a form of communication. If you and your partner talk about sex, it will help reduce your stress and anxiety. And you may become more relaxed.
Erections may gradually become more difficult to get and keep as you get older. But foreplay-erotic stimulation before intercourse-and the right environment can help increase your ability to have an erection, regardless of your age.
Here are some other things you can do that may reduce your risk for erection problems:
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid using illegal drugs.
- Limit alcohol. Even small amounts of alcohol can cause erection problems.
- Manage high blood pressure and high cholesterol. This can help lower your risk of hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis).
- Keep your blood sugar in your target range if you have diabetes.
- Exercise regularly.
- Lose weight, especially if you are obese.
- Lower stress in your life.