Eye Sore/Corneal Ulcer Treatment

Medically Reviewed by Whitney Seltman, OD on October 15, 2020

Seek emergency care if:

  • There is loss or change in vision.
  • The pain follows an injury to the eye.

1. Protect the Eye

  • Dark glasses may provide comfort.
  • Do not flush, patch, rub, dab at, or place compresses on the eye.

2. Get Medical Help as Soon as Possible

  • See a health care provider for persistent pain, eye redness, change in vision, drainage from the eye, rashes around the eye, swelling of the eyelids, or fever.

3. Follow Up

  • The health care provider will examine the eye and test vision. Depending on the age of the person, the health care provider may also check the pressure within the eye and perform other tests.
  • Depending on the cause, the health care provider may prescribe eye drops or oral medicines or both and may recommend consultation from an ophthalmologist (eye specialist).
  • Follow up depends on the cause of pain but may require a visit to an ophthalmologist.