Seek emergency care if:
- There is loss or change in vision.
- The pain follows an injury to the eye.
1. Protect the Eye
- If the person wears contact lenses, take them out.
- Dark glasses may provide comfort.
- Do not flush, patch, rub, dab at, or place compresses on the eye.
2. Get Medical Help as Soon as Possible
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will examine the eye and test vision. Depending on the age of the person, the health care provider may also check the pressure within the eye and perform other tests.
- Depending on the cause, the health care provider may prescribe eye drops or oral medicines or both and may recommend consultation from an ophthalmologist (eye specialist).
- Follow up depends on the cause of pain but may require a visit to an ophthalmologist.