Call 911 now if the person:
- Is struggling to breathe
- Has blue lips
- Is unable to walk or talk
- Shows other signs of a severe attack
1. Stop Activity
- Have the person sit down and rest.
2. Follow the Person’s Asthma Plan, if Possible
- Find out if the person has an individualized asthma action plan from a doctor.
- If so, follow its directions.
3. Give Asthma First Aid
4. Resume Activity When Safe
5. Follow Up
- If symptoms do not improve with treatment, call the person's doctor for advice.
If attack happens at school:
- Notify school nurse or other designated staff if child does not have asthma medication or symptoms do not go away within five to 10 minutes after using inhaler.
- Notify the child’s parents.
- Do not let child leave the gym or play area alone.