Heat Exhaustion Treatment
1. Lower Body Temperature
- Get the person out of the heat and into a cool environment.
- If air-conditioning is not available, fan the person.
- Spray the person with a garden hose, get him or her into a cool shower or bath, apply cool compresses, or give the person a cool sponge bath.
- Give cool, nonalcoholic and non-caffeinated beverages as long as the person is alert.
4. See a Health Care Provider
Untreated heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke. See a doctor that day if:
- Symptoms get worse or last more than an hour