Call 911 if:
- You can't wake up the child.
- The child has slurred speech, confusion, weakness in limbs, or trouble walking.
- The headache is the worst the child's ever had.
1. Treat Symptoms
- Apply cool compress to forehead.
- Have the child take deep, calming breaths.
- Have the child lie down in a cool, dark room.
2. When to Seek Medical Help
- See a doctor if the headache comes back, gets worse, or lasts more than 12 hours.
- If your child's head was injured prior to the headache, see a doctor.
- If you feel that your child is not looking well or are concerned, see your child's doctor.
3. Follow Up
If you seek medical help:
- The doctor will do an exam and may recommend medications, stress reduction techniques, or lifestyle changes to help prevent future migraines.
- For severe headache with stiff neck and other symptoms, the doctor will examine the child for meningitis or other serious illnesses.