How is thrush treated at home?
- For thrush, swish the antifungal agent nystatin around in your mouth then swallow the liquid. Take care to maintain excellent oral hygiene.
- All objects put into a child's mouth should be washed or sterilized after each use.
- Breastfeeding mothers should be evaluated for Candida infection of the breast.
- If you wear dentures, clean them thoroughly after each use and practice good oral hygiene.
- Adults and older children have several treatment options not available to babies, such as troches (antifungal lozenges) or pills such as fluconazole (Diflucan) to help clear the infection in addition to nystatin.
THIS TOOL DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. It is intended for general informational purposes only and does not address individual circumstances. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied on to make decisions about your health. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you have read on the WebMD Site. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.
This tool does not provide medical advice. See additional information.