Call 911 if:
- There are signs of spinal cord injury along with tailbone injury caused by a fall.
Symptoms of spinal cord injury include:
- Severe neck or back pain
- Paralysis in part of the body
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Weakness in the legs or arms
If any of these symptoms are present, avoid moving the person and call 911.
1. Reduce Pain and Pressure
- Ice tailbone every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until pain goes away.
- Give an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain.
- Have the person use a wedge-type cushion (from a medical supply store) so his weight is distributed forward.
- Avoid constipation. Give plenty of fluids and fiber in diet. The short-term use of a laxative might be necessary.
2. See a Health Care Provider
3. Follow Up
- The health care provider will do an X-ray and possibly an MRI, CT scan, or bone scan to check for fracture.
- Usually, continued home treatment is recommended.