Call 911 if:
- The person is having trouble breathing.
1. Get the Person Out of the Water
2. Do CPR if the Person Is Not Breathing
- For an adult, start adult CPR.
- For a child, start CPR for children.
3. Clean Wound
- Use tweezers to remove all catfish spines.
- Scrub wound with soap and water.
- Rinse extensively with fresh or salt water.
4. Submerge Wound in Hot Water
- Soak for at least 30 minutes in hot (not scalding) water with epsom salt.
5. Do Not Cover Wound
6. Treat Pain
7. See a Doctor As Soon As Possible
8. Follow Up
- The doctor will clean and treat the wound and may give a tetanus shot, if needed.
- The person may receive pain medication and antibiotics to prevent infection.