Internal Rotator Strengthening Exercise
- Begin by tying a piece of elastic exercise material, such as surgical tubing or Thera-Band, to a doorknob.
- Stand or sit with your shoulder relaxed and your elbow bent 90 degrees. Your upper arm should rest comfortably against your side. You can squeeze a rolled towel between your elbow and your body for comfort and to help keep your arm at your side.
- Hold one end of the elastic band in the hand of the affected arm.
- Slowly rotate your forearm toward your body until it touches your belly. Slowly move it back to where you started.
- Keep your elbow and upper arm firmly tucked against the towel roll or the side of your body during this movement.
- Repeat 8 to 12 times.
Primary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerTimothy Bhattacharyya, MD
Current as ofMay 22, 2015