It's that time of year when even nonfootball enthusiasts gather around the television for a few hours to watch a predictably spectacular football game (and half-time show) … satisfaction guaranteed.
If only we could say the same for the often super-caloric Super Bowl party food!
But this year you can have your Super Bowl appetizers and eat lighter, too. Check out our four appetizer recipes, each of which you can whip up in five minutes or less. You'll be in and out of the kitchen in a flash, with nary a touchdown or pass completion missed.
Super Bowl Ranch Dip and Veggies
Journal 1/2 cup of dip as: 1 serving of plain low-fat yogurt.
Journal each 1/2 cup of veggies as: 1 serving of vegetables without added fat.
You can add food coloring to this dip to show which team you are rooting for!
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dip (1 ounce)
16-ounce container fat free (or light) sour cream (my favorite is Naturally Yours Fat Free)
Assorted raw veggies: Try baby carrots, celery sticks, zucchini coins, jicama sticks, cherry tomatoes
- Mix the ranch packet with 16 ounces of sour cream. If you have time, refrigerate dip for one hour before serving, to thicken and blend flavors.
- Serve with assorted raw veggies.
Makes 8 servings of dip.
Per 1/2 cup of ranch dip served with fresh veggies (1/2 cup carrot sticks, 1/2 cup celery sticks and 4 cherry tomatoes): 180 calories, 9 g protein, 34 g carbs, 0.4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 900 mg sodium (because of the ranch powder). Calories from fat 2 percent.
Football in a Blanket Bites
Journal 2 Bites as:1 slice of bread + 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine + 1/2 serving of lean meat/moderate-fat meat without added fat.
Serve these with ketchup, mustard, or even BBQ sauce!
1 can refrigerated reduced-fat crescent rolls
About five lower-fat turkey franks (such as bun-length Louis Rich)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll roll dough; separate into eight triangles. Cut each triangle in half to make two triangles.
- Cut each hot dog into three pieces, about 2 inches each (depending on the length of the hot dog)
- Place each hot dog piece in the center of one of the small triangles of dough and wrap the dough around the hot dog. Place on nonstick baking sheet. Repeat with remaining crescent dough and turkey franks.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until dough is golden brown.
Makes 16 Bites (8 servings).
Shrimp Taco Dip
Journal 1 serving of dip as: 1 serving lean fish + 1 teaspoon fat.
Journal 4 low-fat crackers (16 grams) as: 1 serving low-fat crackers; Journal 1 ounce of reduced-fat tortilla chips as 1 serving regular crackers.
Serving suggestion: Serve with lots of reduced-fat tortilla chips!
8-ounce block of light or 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
1/2 cup (1/2 of an 8-ounce bottle) chili sauce (I use Heinz brand)
1 cup fresh or frozen (recently thawed) tiny or small shrimp, drained, rinsed and patted dry very well
4 scallions, chopped
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (3 to 4 ounce) can sliced black olives, patted dry
1 cup (4 ounces) grated, part-skim mozzarella cheese, packed (reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese can also be used)
- Mix the cream cheese and milk in a small mixing bowl with mixer until smooth. Spread on a small serving platter or in a 9x5-inch loaf pan in an even layer.
- Layer the remaining ingredients on top of the cream cheese, in the order that they appear in the ingredient list.
- Chill at least one hour before serving. Serve with reduced-fat tortilla chips or wheat crackers.
Makes 8 servings.
Jalapeno Cheese Spread
Journal each serving as: 1/2 ounce regular fat cheese +2 teaspoons jelly.
Journal each 16 grams of low-fat crackers as: 1 serving low-fat crackers.
1 block (8 ounces) light cream cheese
1/3 cup jalapeno jelly
Reduced-fat wheat crackers (such as Reduced-Fat Wheat Thins)
- Place the cream cheese block on a serving plate.
- Spread jalapeno jelly evenly over the top.
- Serve with reduced-fat wheat crackers.
Makes 8 servings.
1 serving of the jalapeno cream cheese spread: (not including crackers) 94 calories, 3 g protein, 10 g carbs, 4 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 0.1 g fiber, 137 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 44 percent.