Feb. 2, 2009 -- Phillips Mushroom Farms of Kennett Square, Pa., is recalling 3.5 ounce, 4 ounce, and 1 pound packages of enoki mushrooms because they may be contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes.
No illnesses have been reported, according to a news release from Phillips Mushroom Farms.
Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an infection that mainly affects the elderly, pregnant women, newborns, and people with weak immune systems. Infection during pregnancy can lead to miscarriage or stillbirth, premature delivery, or infection of the newborn, according to the CDC.
Symptoms of listeriosis include fever and muscle aches. Listeriosis symptoms may also include nausea and diarrhea; if it spreads to the nervous system, it may cause headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, or convulsions.
Enoki Mushroom Recall
Enoki mushrooms are white, with long stems and small caps. They're usually sold in clusters, and they may also be called snow mushrooms or winter mushrooms, according to background information on Phillips Mushroom Farms' web site.
Phillips Mushroom Farms' recall includes the following packages of enoki mushrooms sold under various brand names in the U.S. and Canada between Jan.13 and Jan. 30.
Here is a list of the affected products, sold in clear plastic bags with blue, green, or red panels:
- PMF 3.5 ounce green bag UPC 33383 67540
- Phillips Enoki 3.5 ounce blue bag UPC 33383 67540
- Phillips Enoki 1 pound bulk bag (food service distribution only)
- Mr. Mushroom 4 ounce red and green bags UPC 33383 67543
Here is a list of the recalled products sold in 3.5 ounce plastic containers and wrapped in plastic film:
- Phillips Enoki UPC 33383 67541
- Organic Phillips Enoki UPC 21706 67363
- Publix Enoki UPC 41415 03186
- Giorgio Enoki UPC 33383 67451
- Moonlight Mushroom Enoki UPC 33383 67540
- Pennsylvania Dutchman Enoki UPC 33383 67451
- Fresh Obsession UPC 69200 00916
- Country Fresh Enoki UPC 33383 67541
- Monterey Gourmet Enoki UPC 37102 67820
- Elite Enoki UPC 34635 41866
Phillips Mushroom Farms ordered the voluntary recall based on a single sample tested during a routine product evaluation.
If you have any of the recalled enoki mushrooms, return them to the store for a full refund. Questions? Call Phillips Mushroom Farms at 800-722-8818.