- Cut watermelon into 1-inch slices.
- Remove most of the fruit and leave ¼ inch on the rind.
- Slice off the green skin, but leave the white part and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Fill glass canning jars with chunks--about 2 quarts.
- Make the brine: add remaining ingredients to pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Pour brine over the watermelon.
- Refrigerate 24 hours, then serve.
Preserve this summer staple to enjoy as an occasional snack. Watch the recipe video.