This rosemary-infused lentil and greens recipe is a perfect topping for toasted bread. Serve as a vegetarian main dish for 4 or a hearty side dish for 8.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and rosemary and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add water; bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Add kale and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush bread slices with 1/2 teaspoon oil each. Bake until toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the remaining garlic clove in half and rub the toast with a cut side of the garlic. Serve each toast topped with about 1 cup of the lentil mixture, drizzled with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining oil.